Equipment and Machinery List

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Leopard, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Leopard

Leopard Junior Member

Hi,
    I would like to know the mechanical and electrical machinery and equipment list for any vessel around 30 to 40 feet electric yacht. My desired speed is around 35 knots. I would appreciate much if you contribute whatever you can. If you have the model, power, quantity and other specifications for any item for an electric yacht, Please write them down. Please add the name of other mechanical and electrical equipment.

You can let me know the engine, model, gearbox,

1. Electric Engine
    2 Gear Box
    3 Battery
    4 Anchor
    5 Navigational Light
    6 Horn

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

30 t0 40 feet is a huge difference, even if you are talking of open launches. You need to first give the specifications of the vessel. For example, displacement, resistance at 35 knots, electric power requirements by accessories and other equipment, reserve power requirement, range of operation, what class or other legal requirements necessary in the area of operation, owners request, and any other constraint specified by the owner or operator.

3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

35 knots is an incredibly fast 30 to 40 ft yacht. You are basically designing for speed with little consideration for accommodations. My father's 65 foot planing catamaran headboats only did 24 to 28 knots and they could outrun the coastguard 40 footers.

Of course, that was back in the 70s. I know you can do it, but still, that's a lot of speed for that size boat.

Are you looking at something like a Donzi or Cigarette design or do you want something more like a sport fisherman with a flying bridge?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

His list doesn't even cover the safety equipment for a canoe. He claims to be a professional in other posts, but it seems he doesn't have a clue about boats.

DogCavalry likes this.
  5. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I'm not sure if he is a daydreamer or a troll.A thirty to forty foot electric boat at that speed will have an endurance of seconds or at best minutes.Perhaps he could post a couple of images of his current (!) boat.

6. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I suspect a student trying get us to do his homework.

kerosene likes this.
  7. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I agree and part of me is tempted to give an answer that includes several hyperlinks with the instruction "click here" to see if he falls for it.That ought to lose a few marks if submitted to an observant supervisor.Does anybody think the performance criteria may be anything like feasible?

8. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Not feasible. Back of the envelope calcs suggest total displacement of the vessel required in tesla battery packs, per hour running. Roughly, obviously.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  9. Leopard

Leopard Junior Member

This boat is around 25 feet but it says it has 30 knots speed. So, why do you think 35 knots will be much for 30 feet yacht? I understand increasing even 1 knots requires a lot of power. However, I think at least 30 knots is achievable

Attached Files:

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do you have a link to the manufacturer? 55kW of power seems really low for their speed claims.

11. standman

standman Junior Member

looks like a candela boat
    Hydrofoils allow it to hit those speeds

12. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

When I hear the term 'yacht', speed boats don't come to mind. When you combine the term 'yacht' with a criteria of "30 to 40 feet" I'm thinking cabin cruiser or sport fisherman. I did say it was possible and added why I thought it was uncommon.
    I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm asking you to think about whether that is really what you meant and to help us by clarifying your intent.
    All the best.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.