Self righting multihull?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by bjn, Feb 27, 2018.

1. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

Good questions
    The inlet holes need to be well above the waterline on the lee side when the boat is flying a hull. The outlet holes can have flaps on them unless the false floor is above the hull flying waterline. The flaps can be gravity, pressure or crew activated.
    A pitchpole where the boat ended up bows down would be a problem. The self righting would not work. There are a couple of solutions i am playing with, just need time. However, I have pitchpoled my 7.5m test boat ELEMENTARRY – Harryproa a few times. It always ends up on it's side with the mast pointing upwind, even when the true wind is close to dead astern. Consequently, I am pretty confident that a pitchpole resulting in both bows going under would be pretty unusual (the boat would have to be well by the lee) and easily avoided by sailing a little higher.
    That is a function of the roughness of the rig on the model. Apart from foiling Bucket List, which is a test bed for the Volvo Proa , all harrys have unstayed masts. There is more on that boat and it's rig at
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.