Boat Building In Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by colfar5033, Jun 29, 2010.

1. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

Morning gents

what does one do when it is cold and motivation is low and one is working outside :confused: Have been trying to do some epoxy work and have given that a miss

cheers

Attached Files:

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

One builds a tent or shed around it and puts a heater in or waits for better days.....

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Second that..
    now isolating the tent :rolleyes:

4. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

...I go skiing :)

More seriously, when it gets cold or it's raining I work on planning ahead the next building steps, I source parts and materials I will need next and I clean up so my work space is tidy when I can work again.
    Enjoy the cold in a cozy chair, many coffees and work out what will come next. Do you know where you will have threw hulls? How are you powering your boat, picked the engine, prop...? How will the engine girders be fitted and built? What kind of tanks are you fitting in? How they going to be secured? Do you need to source those tanks? Do you need a propane locker and where to fit it? My oh my...just throwing ideas around but there are so many details that might need to be thought of and wouldn't it be frustrating to get there and have to bang your head "whats" and "hows" when the weather is just perfect to enjoy the hands on work? Make it so when the good weather comes, you have as little thinking to do and just motor threw the construction. As well planned as a project can be, there's always something more to be thought of. See now? you might be thinking about how to build a shed over the boat :) .

I built one boat in the cold and that was enough for me to give up fighting elements.

Enjoy,

Murielle

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Make or repair small parts, eye-splice ropes and research methods. Hang out here.

6. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

like the idea about the tent:D .lucky here in africa winter is not to long and we are past midway so hoping for some heat soon. my biggest issue is to get my self motivated to get of couch and get out there. have some work i can do in garage and drag heater in there and can work on future planning. go skiing:confused:

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

and of course your winter is warmer than my summer..

8. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

I understand the motivation problem!

For me, I can sometimes trick myself into getting stuck in, e.g. Come home from work, DON'T sit down (can make a cup of tea) and go and just do 15 minutes straight away, before you've relaxed,(chances are when you've started you carry on and do more, because you've remembered you enjoy it. And you are fired up to come back to it after supper, say.)

Or, if that's too much, just go and organise the tools, clean, sharpen, prepare materials, tidy the work area, get ready to do some....

Or, if that's too much, go and just look at the job, and think about it (cup of tea in hand.)

I find all the above whets the appetite for the project again.

And no hurrying! Nothing takes the fun out of a job more than having to rush! If there's enough time, just about anything can be satisfying, even the washing up.!

Anyway, that stuff mostly works for me. I do sympathise!
    Good luck

TT

9. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

You are in South Africa, I live in Ireland its cold and wet 350 days a year,build a lean to and work harder:D

10. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

Dont know what i am complainng about i could not handel so many cold days

11. liki

liki Senior Member

Teddy,

how is your tent constructed and what do you use for heating? I'd need a temporary shelter for building a 4,5x1,6m boat to be able to work on it during the winter also.

12. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I'm now on a holiday in Virrat. I put some pictures when I get back.. PM send if you like to call...

13. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

14. uncookedlentil

uncookedlentil Junior Member

I just moved 3,000 miles to put -35 degrees below 0 into a distant memory

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Sam Devlin reckons that "to finish a boat, you really have to HATE it"

I can remember a few of those projects all right :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.