Self made Copper-Epoxy-mix as Antifouling? - And the 'same' ready made products?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Angélique, Oct 23, 2009.

1. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I repair rotten teak by mixing epoxy and teak dust, then applying dust on last layer as a pure powder to give that look. I wonder if something like that can be done wit copper powder. Apply epoxy liquid on hull, let it get tacky then just physically coat with powder.

2. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

sanding

Yes wet sanded with 220 then 400 grit
    Tom

3. sailbleu

sailbleu Junior Member

But you did use the normal epoxy resin did you not ?
    Adding the copper powder yourself.
    Meaning , you didn't use the real stuff from coppercoat.com with it's water based epoxy right ?

Regards

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I now have a low viscosity water based epoxy, capable of 200% (by weight) copper loading, and still be workable.

5. sailbleu

sailbleu Junior Member

And which one would that be Herman ?

Regards

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Some stuff from UPPC. They are right in the middle of a renaming session, as per their sale to Dow Chemical, so I should look up the new number.

7. Atmo

Atmo New Member

Hello,

we are in Tobago for the Hurricane season and would like to coppercoat our 42ft catamaran.
    That probably means we would need about 40kg of Copperdust.
    would you please send us a quote if you still sell the dust?

Regards,

Atmo

8. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Atmo,

I'm not sure Paul is still reading here but he can be reached through this page where he has put up info about the subject and also info how to how reach him . . . .

Please let us know what you do and what the results are . . . . . . :)

Good luck !
    Angel

9. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

sanding

Sorry missed the question
    Yes, After spraying I had a finish about the same as 220 grit sand paper, We were racing both boats so both got wet sanded with a 400 grit final sanding.
    The guys at copperpoxy sent me a quart of sea slide to try out also but i didn't try it was afraid of the politics in the yacht club!

I didn't think the prices they were charging at the time were to far out of line, look at what it would cost you for the copper and epoxy to do it yourself now days

In the process of doing a bottom rebuild and my plan is to mix my own copper and epoxy with maybe a touch of Teflon added, need to experiment a bit with the mix but I do still have a little copper epoxy left over so I will try to match it

One big mistake I did on the first one,the Santana 20 , over looked the mix by weight rather than volume. Had the boat single point lifted in the garage shot a nice beautiful coat on but after a few hours it was staying wet then I figured out what I had done I scraped it off into a coffee can and put it on ice, cleaned the hull off, remixed and shot it back on the next day. Worked fine but sure the hard way to learn!!

Tom

10. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Has anyone seen results from using arc sprayed zinc or copper? It's pure molten metal and yes, it can be sprayed onto fiberglass without damaging it.

11. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I've never seen a metal sprayed hull exterior I can't see it being very successful. Metal coats on plastic are prone to cracking and peeling off.
    Also I'd rather have a nice thick barrier coat with GRP.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Mike, metal plating and sprays on plastics have been in use for a few decades now, with excellent results. All those seemingly fake chrome automotive grills in plastic are actually chrome plated. The etch and metal prime process is effective, then it's pretty much a standard plating process. I don't know how well it would work, but if I hit the lottery, I'd consider a chrome plated hull, maybe a copper bottom, just to be cool. If you can't beat them, you can blind them . . .

13. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Interesting idea
    I don't think there would be much benefit , adhesion is not a problem with good prep job

14. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

:D Bling.

Do you know if it would adhere well to poly and vinyl ester?

15. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.