I550 rudder and keel foil designs.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sportsailor, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Sportsailor

Sportsailor Junior Member

Any designers out there that have a good handle on what the best rudder and keel foil shape, size and design would be for an i550 sailboat.
    Thanks
    SS

1 person likes this.
  2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Why, is there a reason you do not want to use the sections designed for these appendages? She's pretty sporty now, different sections and plan forms will only offer fractions of a knot improvement, if any at all.

3. Sportsailor

So as a designer, you have seen these foil shapes for the i550 ?
    You feel they are adequate ?
    Thanks.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've seen pictures of the appendages and I'm sure they'll perform quite well. It's not me that has to be satisfied, with the plan form and sectional choices made by the i550 designer. Considering her performance potential, fooling around with the plan forms or sections, wouldn't be wise without considerable understanding of the actual design.

The rudder could be "played" with a bit as it's fairly easy to change out, but making new daggers to test would be a costly proposition, with it's bulb. Simply put, yep, I'll bet you could improve the appendages a tad, but how much tinkering are you willing to do? As designed, she'll be spry and one of the quicker, if not the quickest (depending on where you'll splash her) cuddy equipped boats on your local puddle.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Out of curiosity I checked out the class rules (http://i550class.org/files/i550ClassRulesV1.pdf) and there does not seem to be any restriction on the choice of keel and rudder foil sections or shapes. Apart few maximum dimensions, of course.
    So, may I ask you (Sportsailor) what particular foil shapes did you see around and are referring to?
    Cheers

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

7. Sportsailor

That's a cool keel...I would post on Sailing Anarchy if I had an account, but reading the thread over regarding the i550, I would be afraid of asking such a question regarding the foils. For fear of getting my head ripped off.

8. michael pierzga

Sailing anarchy is full of bar room ignorance.

Best to sketch out foil concepts and post on boatdesign net.

Perhaps start with the stock foils then look for wAys to improve

9. Sportsailor

I like what I see a Phil's foils..fast composites...but the price is crazy..

10. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Michael is correct regarding SA.... however there are gems to be found.... & it's only a figurative head to be ripped off, the "hard core" SAers don't represent themselves well & it's really not a reflection on a poster that cops a little cr@p, the perps of that stuff are either still in the schoolyard or their headspace never left it. Just wade in & be proud;)
    Jeff.

11. Sportsailor

There is one guy there, Team Gladiator...he is enough to scare anyone away from the class and the boat. Comes across as a know it all and his way is the only way. I will decide about joining there. Perhaps I will just message people privately with my questions. Pick and choose the ones that seem to have a good head on their shoulders.

12. michael pierzga

Certainly the I550 must have a class association and website forum.

Have a look....Perhaps they have educated, thinking people , with correct vocabulary and insights to offer on i550 foils.

Since rudders are so easy to make any miscalculation on shape is cheap to modify.

Keel blades are different. Much more expensive and engineered.

Are the blades steel ? Or composite ?

My impression of the class is that it is intended for home builders and home designers

13. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Sounds like Team G is a bit of a bully boy, he & others on that site need to hear exactly what you posted above, frightening others from the class & discussion is pretty poor form..... maybe Team G is like this guy? his self referencing as a forum rock star sailer always cracks me up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwgT7RnYe4g not that there's anything wrong with sailing cats.
    the i550 looks like a great style of boat, the self build aspects are something the modern world seems to be losing out on.
    Jeff.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.