Self bailing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Albert Jr., Nov 18, 2013.

1. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I used to have a C&C 24 which had the most absurd cockpit drain settup, they sloped the sole forward to a point about a foot from the companionway where it leveled off, then they installed a 1.25" drain each side at the transition which merged below the sole to a single 1.5" seacock through the bottom close to centerline. The most absurd thing is that the sole is about a foot above the waterline and runs almost to the transom, there is a back wall to the cockpit in the deck molding which is about 4" and paralell to the transom, it would have been a simple matter for the designers to slope the sole toward the transom and away from the companionway and instal 2 huge slots with flaps.
    Btw, i have always found the term self bailing strange, bailing is something you do with a bucket, self draining makes more sense to me.

Steve.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.