Seem like a decent starting place?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TheWizzaardd, Apr 2, 2017.

1. TheWizzaardd

TheWizzaardd Junior Member

I have been browsing around looking through several plans for various small builds. Does this seem to be a good first build? http://www.boatdesigns.com/11-15-Power-Row-Skiffs-flat-bottom-skiffs/products/857/ I would probably go longer for the power but maybe not. If you have any alternative suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for an open deck move around fishing boat which could also be used to haul camping gear. I do want it to be relatively quick, not fast but not slow round 15-20 mph more towards 20, which has been the challenge so far.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I joined less than a week ago, I am still very new.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are lots of designs like this and it's called a clam skiff. They don't need much power to get up and scoot along, though being flat bottomed, they will pound in a chop or if pushed too fast or if not well handled. It's a fine first build and there's plenty of examples of them running around. If looking for more capacity (camping gear) consider the wide bottom version. These are more stable, need a bit more power for the same performance envelop of the others, but can carry more. You'll still scoot along nicely with a 15 - 20 HP outboard.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I could google it no doubt, but how "clam" comes to be part of the name is a bit intriguing !

4. PAR

The clam skiff is an old, basic boat design. There are two types, shorter, fatter versions and the more traditional longer, leaner versions. The longer ones where poled around in the flats and very shallow water areas and the crew dug up clams, tossing them into the boat for transport back to shore. As outboards became more reliable and efficient, shorter, fatter versions were built to gain more capacity, initial stability for a given length and speed potential.

[​IMG]

This is my version of this boat type and pretty typical. It's workboat heritage is obvious and they're usually built this way, simple, robust and worked hard. I've elected to show the center console setup, as this seems most popular currently, though she could be one of several arrangements.

Designing one of these takes some skill, as you have to get the entry right or the boat doesn't perform very well. I've never seen the lines for the Glen-L design, but knowing who designed it, I'd have to imagine he made the considerations necessary, for this type of boat. My design (above) is the longer, narrower version, which as a rule is more efficient under way, with less issues than the fatter versions.

5. TheWizzaardd

TheWizzaardd Junior Member

Question, can the console and required hardware be added a few years after the fact or is it something that needs to be made during initial construction. It's something I want but definitely not something I need, and from what I see the bits and pieces for the console add up pretty quick.

Luckily most of the people I know including myself are minimalist campers so as a group we shouldn't have too much crap to get in the way.

I do really like your design, as a lanky person I like the long sleek look.

but I also like the idea of the extra space with the wide beam, but I hate unnecessary future complications. Good thing I have around a year to chill on this.

6. PAR

The console is just an add on. These boats can be setup a number of ways, with the most basic just having a few thwarts, often with storage or floatation under them. The console can be made from half a sheet of plywood. The engine, steering and controls are where the money goes. I have built several of these over the years and can slap one together in a weekend, not counting finishing and engine install.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.