Seeking speed with a 3hp electric outboard ...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by istock1, May 15, 2009.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Something wrong with your website link - "adress not found" ...

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

To explain how it works. If the capacitors is fully charged, the switch mode unit has a short narrow output pulse, resulting in a low average voltage. As soon the capacitor gets discharged, the pulse becomes wider and the average voltage stays the same. Something like that. It is not difficult to make such a circuit. A Microchip integrated circuit will do the job.

3. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Masalai, type under google search " eestor 2009" and than click on " EEstor gets a trademark etc.

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

EEStor is a company based in Cedar Park, Texas, United States that claims to have developed a revolutionary new type of capacitor for electricity storage, which EEStor calls 'Electrical Energy Storage Units' (EESU), [1]. EEStor claims the EESU can store far more electrical energy than any other type of capacitor, and that it could be used to propel a small car for about 300 miles[2]. This potential for making electric vehicles fully competitive with gasoline-powered vehicles has created much interest, although the company's claims have yet to be verified. EEStor's CEO and president is Richard Weir, who is also a co-inventor named on their principal technology patents.[3][4]

I wouldn't hold my breath for it, it could take years even if it is not a scam.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Re: EEStor
    A popular topic on here lately:
    See
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/on...stor-silver-bullet-stealth-battery-22014.html
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/batteries-new-battery-technologies-21869.html
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/onboard-electronics-controls/super-capacitors-25655.html
    I doubt it's a scam- what little information has been leaked is physically sound and viable from an engineering standpoint- but I very much doubt that it will be production-ready for a while yet.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Something like "I know it works, but you do´nt understand it" we have had here a several times. (as I remember)

Something like "it is proven to work, and will stand the harshest test of a seagoing vessel", we have to lookup at:

yeah, thought I provide a link häh?

Make it proof, that we buy it.

Regards
    Richard

7. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Richard, There are hunderds of companies who are making already super capacitors. Let me explain what it is, that may put you at ease. A capacitor is 2 pieces of conducting metals with a piece of non conducting material between it. This is called dialectricum. However winding two pieces of metal does not hold enough electrons to compete with a lead acid or any other battery. The rule is how larger the conducting surface and thinner the dialectricum, how higher the charge. Siemens AG, in late 1990's started to produce the first 4800 Farad capactors. What they did, they etched, made little caves in the surface, whereby the capacity increased 100 fold.

8. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

What EEstor has now done in finding a new way to make it even better etched than Siemens AG or any other company. This is the reason why the charge is 10 times greater than a lead acid battery at half the weight.
    As long your Ford, Toyota, GM or BMW or whatever does not buy them out, I bet you, you will get a fantastic seaworthy alluminium casing large battery which last for years and years.
    Bert

9. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

If you feel that alluminium is not the right material for a seaworthy boat, they can put it in a stainless steel casing for you, like Siemens did for the heavy duty trucks in storing energy from breaking, when the truck was rolling downhill.
    Bert.

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Capacitor are good for bursts of energy, a drag car, a flash, to start a large electric motor. They can perhaps be use to start a diesel motor once. As far as I know, a capacitor, can only put out once and then it needs recharging.
    I don't see capacitor replacing a deep cycle battery to power my inverter for 8 hours.

11. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi mydauphin, Yes you are right, but as you notice on their trademark/patent claim, they using electronics to regulate. In a previous reply I mentioned how it is basically done. In 1998, Siemens had already 4800Farad at 24 Volt , which translate in : Time = 0.697 x R x C. If you have a motor of 30 Ampere at 24 Volt i.e. about 1 horsepower, you could run such motor for about 30 minutes, actual 44, but the last bit would be at 1 - 10% of the power. EEstor has capacitors of 100.000 Farads and higher and they solved the problem of the discharge curve by switchmode/burts technology

12. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

I am convinced that a clever way is found to increase the capacitance and secondly they solve the regulation to make the discharge curve more even. i.e. pulse it at a short time at the highest Voltage part and wider pulse at the lower end of the already mostly discharged voltage part. hereby giving a similar performance like a normal battery. I have capacitors here which are 50 years old, as soon I put them on charge, they are still working fine. A slightly higher leakage current, but not much. Folks I am flying to Europe soon, I have to prepare myself for that trip. Thanks, if I am back I will post the Siemens information somehow on the net. Bert

13. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Let me ask you something a blue top battery, stores 1000 something cranking amps, 50 ah, and 100 reserve minutes. But lets say I buy 2 and put them parallel to use 24volts like you. Ok so I have 2000 amp on demand, 100ah for 100 minutes. True there is a degradation on less say 10% a year, therefore a life span of three years. I need a step charger. The whole thing is like $500 charger and all.

Capacitor scenario, I need like 10 of these to give me 90 amp for 90 minutes and a fancy electronic box to control them. And I still need some kind of charger. I am sure this will cost more than $500.

So is this system that much more efficient at storing energy? Are we talking about space, longevity, cost... What is real benefit? I have 6 blue tops and a inverter, I can run my ac overnight not a big deal on a large boat.

14. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Opps I made a mistake in my analogy, let see if your smart enough Bert to catch it right off...

15. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Why don't we crack this problem as a team. Why don't we make a 500.000 farad capacitor 24 Volt. Like Linux, as an open platform. We need a physicist who can help us to understand how to etch the ceramic. We need a person who has understanding of vacuum depositing of metal onto ceramics. We need a person who has a good knowledge of materials like barium etc. We will argue like hell, but we may pull it of. Who knows. I love to have a battery which last for 50 years and can be discharged a million times like a capacitor, you not? not you? Bert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.