Hull Bouyancy Applet or Software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sweet Dreamer, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Sweet Dreamer

Sweet Dreamer Junior Member

Hi, I'm new here so if this question has been asked my apologies.

I'm looking for software or applet similar to the following but far more refined for boat building where I can put in the correct measurements material and weight of my hull. And then add accessories to see how the hull rides in the water.

I would like it to include the ability to add cargo weight similar to this app below, but hopefully even more detailed. I would to have software that will actually show the tilt of an unbalanced hull. Like if I put a heavy engine at one end, etc.

This is a very crude app that I found by doing a search. But this is way too crude.

Buoyancy Applet

So I'm looking for something more suitable for designing an actual boat.

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

3. Sweet Dreamer

Thank you very much, I'm downloading it now. ;)

4. Sweet Dreamer

This looks like a really cool program. Lots to learn on how to run it now though.

Just a few quick questions.

It comes up automatically with a standard boat hull that can then be modified. I just wonder if there is any way to have it start out with just a rectangular hull? That would be far easier for me to then modify.

Also, can you draw decks, cabins, railings etc, using this program? Or does it just do the hull?

They don't offer any example files with it.

Is there a library of files that other people drew that I might be able to download to see what people have done with this?

5. Ingolf

Ingolf Junior Member

Go to this site:

http://www.delftship.net/components/designdatabase/index.php

Choose a vesselt type in the upper left dropdown box and you will get a number of examples or basic designs to build up on.

Deck construction etc... is all possible with delftship. There are some tutorials on youtube which might help you to figure out how it works.

6. Sweet Dreamer

Thank you very much Ingolf,

They have a powered barge there that is almost exactly what I need. I can tweak that up very easily.

I was also confused about the original plans you get when you create a new drawing. There is one bold red line. All the others are just regular lines.

Is that bold red line supposed to be the outer edge of the hull or something? As I was working with that design trying to reform it into a flat barge I was having problems with dealing with the think red line.

Also this barge I drawing I just downloaded doesn't appear to have that unless it's been turned off?

Here's the barge drawing I just downloaded:

[​IMG]

This is very close to what I need. So I thank you very much, this will save me tons of time. It's exactly what I needed as a starter drawing. It even has a cabin placed right where I plan on putting one. I couldn't ask for a better drawing to start with.

7. Sweet Dreamer

Ok, I got the thick red lines back. I see that this is the "Control Net" you can just toggle it on or off.

Ok, I'm underway again.

8. aleutka29

aleutka29 Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.