Lines Plan preparation

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dibin_marino, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Dibin_marino

Dibin_marino Junior Member

Dear All,

I have prepared an lines plan for a catamaran by on board verification and measurements ,as class has insisted me to forward lines plan for the mentioned vessel for their verification,

since the vessel is already built and has T&S booklet i now has to match the hydro statics provided in the booklet, can anyone advise me how to do fairing process and match with the hydro statics provided in the booklet for each draft marks?? please advise me which Simpsons rule will apply for the calculation of displacement.

Expecting assistance in this matter

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You have a very common problem, but it requires a very precise and meticulous work to be resolved. The first thing you need is a body lines plan that matches exactly the boat. If this is not the case, the subsequent steps are useless. Then you need a software (I have it) that exactly reproduces the lines plan. Many programs allow you to create 3D models that look like the original but are not the original whereupon the hidrostágticos values ​​may have greater errors than the CS supports.
    Depending on the shapes of the boat, it is very possible that the Simpson method is not sufficiently accurate.
    Can you show your plane forms ?. If you have it in dwg or dxf format would help.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It is not easy to understand the body lines plan you have drawn up. It is not easy to know what each frame, ie, their distances from the AP. Furthermore, each frames comprises multiple sections, independent lines, thereby obtaining each cross section is too great a job.
    I would say, but it's just an impression, that the shapes forward are not well defined.
    Anyway, all this makes that to give support is not possible, at least for me.
    Like I said before, firts thing is to get a correct lines plan, that is equal to the ship, each transversal section well idetified and, from there, you can talk about Simpson method or any other method of integration.

4. Dibin_marino

Dibin_marino Junior Member

Thank you for your well advise.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.