Powerboat concept - advice needed

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Enigmatic, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Enigmatic

Enigmatic New Member

Hello Forum!

This is my very first post, so first I'd like to introduce myself in a few words.
    I'm a young desing engineer from Poland. In my actual workplace I design everything that refers to airplanes manufacturing. As you can guess, boatboulding is something really new to me. But some kind of a crazy thought came to my mind.
    As and open-minded person, I found that only a few companies in the world actually produce modern looking boats. Almost whole navy market in my country looks like it is step or two behind other products, i.e. cars. So, here comes the question. Why do they keep focusing on a classic design, instead of going forward?

A few days of search on the Internet, and I found only two companies that are keeping up with the visual design trends:
    Palmer Johnson with the 48M SuperSport and Art of Kinetik (all of their models look great!).

My idea is to desing and make a prototype of a concept futuristic-looking powerboat and I hope you guys will help me out with some advices. Can you recommend me some literature/sites/software about hull desing for powerboats? And maybe first of all, where should I start my journey in hull designing?

The attachements show the result of my (one and a half week) work, a CAD model generated in Catia. This kind of futuristic shapes I'm talking about.

This hull will require a three mold system. The upper part (shown in attachement image) would need one mold, the lower wound need two, because of the "pocket" shapes, that go inside of the hull.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Lose the pocket shapes, otherwise you're going to get very wet underway.

Performance by Design, by Donald Blount would be the first book choice, but you'll also need a solid understanding of basic hydrodynamics, so consider a course, especially if you want this puppy to go over 50 knots, without killing it's occupants..

3. Enigmatic

Enigmatic New Member

Thanks for the quick reply,

So, when these pockets come under the waterline, they may cause a force (plus gravity) that will overpass the buoyancy force?

Actually, my inspiration for those shapes was Hedonist by Art of Kinetik. Am I thinking right, that the key is to keep them much above the waterline? :confused:

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      80.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What is the idea of those "pockets" anyway ? Stylistics ?

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

They are probably stylistic - but they can also act as natural stiffeners in this case.

Hi Enigmatic, welcome to the forum.
    As a first attempt it is not bad at all. But you need some education about boat design before venturing further. The boat is visually very interesting but the hull is hydrodynamically (and apparently even hydrostatically) unsuitable for a fast powerboat. Nothing that cannot be easily corrected though.

I disagree with your opinion that there are too few yards who produce modern (futuristic, as you call them) designs. When you say "only two of them are keeping up with visual design trends" then it evidently means the opposite - only two companies are going against the trends. The trend is by definition a course followed by the majority. The minority can only be trendsetters, eventually.

But what is the visual design trend, in this moment? Are you definitely sure it is what Art of Kinetic does? I personally consider them a spin-off from the Wally trendsetting series.
    Who decided that works by:
    - Frauscher (http://www.frauscherboats.com/en)
    - Maori (http://www.maoriyacht.com/ENG/)
    - Officina Italiana Design (http://www.italianadesign.it/yachts/?lang=en)
    - Goldfish (http://goldfishboat.com/)
    - Windy tenders (http://windyboats.com/range/yacht-projects/)
    - Sacs (http://www.sacsmarine.it/en/)
    - and several others
    do not make or follow the trend? Your design resembles a couple models of the above yards - so if it is made according to the trends, then the trend is followed by quite a number of yards, don't you think? ;)

The bottom line is - make a nice and thorough research of the current international boating market and design tendencies. You will be surprised how dynamic has the sector become in the last 4-5 years. Yards have understood that the only way to get out of the crisis in which the boating industry has fallen after the 2008 is by investing into excellence in both visual design and finishings. I am actually seeing a rennaisance in the styling and technological trends of the boating industry.

Cheers

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

daiquiri, I like your comment. Not only for what it says but for all that, from it, one can deduct. I think, in a very friendly and reasoned way, with examples, you have refuted some unwise statements.

7. Mr Efficiency

I get the impression boats of this ilk would have a big future at the Submariners Academy, because driven hard down a big wave, I expect it would give a convincing impression of a dive, at the bottom ! ( with apologies to the OP )

8. PAR

The hull shows no hydrodynamic consideration for it's intended use, though styling is different. As a rule styling can be imposed on about anything and is the last "driver" of a design's shape sets.

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

PAR, I guess it's a language barrier at work here... What do you intend by this last phrase?

10. Enigmatic

Enigmatic New Member

Thanks for all replies, constructive criticism is what I was looking for.

daiquiri, thank you for your words and reccomendations. Your whole post is an eye-opening for me. Somehow I didn't come across those manufacturers, I have to admit most of their work looks really good. And it seems like it would be quite hard to compete with them.

One of the reasons why I thought so, is my county's market. Once a year we have a boatbuilding fair, called Boatshow. When I came across their site with list of new models to be presented, none of them actually impressed me. Here is the link: http://www.boatshow.pl/index.php?mod=page&id=1999

Anyway, mistakes were made, lessons were learned. I changed the depth to just a couple of mm, and the bottom now relates more to the powerboat standards. I'll take the advice and stop modelling at this moment - time to do some boatbuilding studies. Still looking for any tips from you guys though.

Attached Files:

11. Mr Efficiency

I struggle to understand the appeal of these wedge-shaped hulls, which immediately present as lacking internal space, and have reduced ultimate stability.

12. PAR

I see so many issues on this hull, that it's hard to take it seriously. The transom is what 45 degrees, so how much wedge do your think it might need? The hollow entry, the rockered bottom, the wave piercing bow, a half dozen lift strakes, the pinched stern, the list is long. The modeling shows some time, but other than a pretty picture . . .

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is a hull that reflects the type for low speeds. Particularly how the chines tuck in aft. Fast boats have parallel chines. The design is interesting as artwork. However, as PAR points out, there are too many things wrong with it. The OP needs to study design, hydrodynamics, etc. Also, as it is with many amateurs, his intent is to be different, which often doesn't mean better. In engineering there are rarely huge departures from the norm; improvements are done in small steps, learning from previous art.

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

15. JSL

JSL Senior Member

I see so many issues on this hull, that it's hard to take it seriously. The transom is what 45 degrees, so how much wedge do your think it might need? The hollow entry, the rockered bottom, the wave piercing bow, a half dozen lift strakes, the pinched stern, the list is long. The modeling shows some time, but other than a pretty picture . . .

Thanks PAR, my 'take' exactly. You saved me a lot of time. Boat could have the planing qualities of a beach ball. And, hope they never have to put any weight for'd... like an anchor, tools, etc. Boat could be a real stuffer.
    That said - the styling looks good so Enigmatic should keep at it but with refinements to make it work.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.