Seeking classic looks, daysailor w/overhang

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by BrianT, Apr 19, 2006.

1. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Hi there, new poster here.

Just found your site, so I would like to fist say hello. What I am wondering is, if mabey there is an obsure production sailboat, or one that was not produced for long, that someone could tell me about.

I want a sailbaot, with a small cabin perhaps. 16-24 feet range. Now, if money was unlimited I would pursue a Alerion Express 28. Preformance, single handed sails, great looks on top. But its no where near afordable for me.

So I have been looking at daysailors, with keels, (preferably wing). The closes I have found as far as the classic looks I like is a "Bluenose 24". However, I can only find one picture of this boat, and it appears they were made in the mid 70's.

So, is there any other "classic styled" sailboats, with keels, some overhang, non-boxy appearance, that anyone knows of, that are affordable? (ie: resembles a baby AE28, but without the price?)

Hope this post made sense, lol.

Thank you- Brian T.

2. Karsten

Karsten Senior Member

I recon you have to go for larger size if you want a cabin and good looks. 24' is a bit small. Classic yachts are quite narrow and don't offer much accommodation space. If accommodation is not much of a concern I would look at the Dragon or the Etchell. They are quite common. You should be able to pick one up reasonably cheap and maybe put a few bunks in if you want to have a snooze. My favorite is http://www.spirityachts.com/sy-spirit-37.htm but I guess it's a bit out of the price range.

Cheers,
    Karsten

3. Texasgaloot

Texasgaloot Yacht Design Student

They are there to be found

You might try EdeyandDuff.com. They are producing a dandy little Joel White double-ender, 23' long, (no cabin, but that's why they make tarps...) They don't get much more beautiful.

4. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Heh, that's one of my favourites too :D Did you know that they also made a 32'? And, from judging from their site, it looks like they're going to drop the 37 soon too :(

About small cruisers, that are a couple of different one here - many of which are rather elegant in my view - the problem is that you want overhangs in, say, a 22 ft - that leaves about 15-16 ft for the "actual" boat:

http://classicmarine.co.uk/gallery/gallery.htm

Edit: I know this is a bit bigger than what you are asking for (it's just above 25') - it's the Nordic Folkboat. I don't know where you live, but a huge number of these were exported to the US, so it should be possible, even over there. And if you're in Europe, well, scandinavia isn't too much of a problem.

http://www.folkboat.com/index.php?facts

6. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

7. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

absolutely.... this guy, (little nuts), is really doing it, with help of a boat craftsman (fully nuts).
    the russian sailboat on the other photos, also is real I've meet Evgeni when he reached Uruguay, his boat was in real, 3.00mts not 3.70 as stated, the extra 70cmts were a kind of unfolding pivoting box (the reason he told us, he hand made the boat on his departament's balcony who was only 3.00mts length)
    one of the boats he owned, (the Halcyon, a 9mts wooden hull) could have been mine, just for one & a half hour (Nin negotiaied it two hours after me...:p )

8. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Wow - that is so extreme - I can't believe he's doing that - hell, he'd be going faster in a canoe!

9. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

hehehehehe, well, maybe on the middle of the Atlantic ocean, under a light 25knots breeze, maybe he can make as much as 4knots? alas, who cares? he was not intending to race against the VO70's... :D :D :D :D
    but belive it or not, Evgeni has rounded the world twice on it (a couple little humorous things I remember, he sailed from Russia from the Mediterranean sea, to Brazil with only a marine compass....
    when he rounded (south) America, from Buenos Aires to Santiago de Chile, at the moment he intended to leave Santiago, thew port authorities jailed him for not having a sailing license....:D :D :D :D

10. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Haha, solrac - that is great:D It's good that some people simple don't give a shyte and go for it!

Back on track – I notice you're from Texas, Brian, so I guess we have to found something in the US, huh?

Have you thought about getting a boat, that has _no_ overhang in front, only in the aft? That way you might be able to find something with a little cuddy - and some of those are quite elegant?

As a little personal opinion on my part, a low sheerline means much more than overhangs when it comes to elegance - unfortunately, that also means the cuddy can't be too tall.

Andre

11. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Aye, I am in Texas, so hoping to find a "classic" looking daysailor, mabey w/ a small cabin, close by.

The "Sackonett 23" site is a great one, very handsome boat, but they are even used over my budget. (Saw some, but most still in the $18,000 and up range even used).

I did notice that there seems to be several of the look I am wanting in the UK. Guess they were not to poular here. I was refering to the back end overhangs primarily. I love (LOVE) the looks of those old black and white Americas cup boats form the early 1900's, designed by Herssoff (sp?). I dont want a "plastic boxy" shaped one. But cost is a major consideration.

I think I want a Alerion Express, but will have to setle on a West Wight Potter 19. (not knowcking the potters at all)... they are affordable, trailerable, great reputations and owner loyalty, and readily available, ect... but I want something much different, in looks at least.

Fact: I have a steak appetite and money for a hamburger (w/out cheese even) lol.

Thanks for the Sprit Yacht link, great pictures there.... thats the shape I want. I wish they produced that main page boat that is pictured, say in a 24 foot model, that was trailerable, and solo-able, and affordable, lol.

(wish...wish...wish...) Hehe.

here is a link to that Bluenose I found.... it has the general shape of what I am wanting (if it lets me copy/past a link here)
    http://www.goodoldboat.com/classifieds/JohnHopper.jpg

I want a boat that is graceful, and shaped more like a wine bottle then a plastic box is all.

Thanks for all your help guys. I know what I want, its just figuring out how to get the closes to it (without taking out a second mortgage or using the kids college funds) lol.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.