Home made collar? 22' offshore aluminum vessel

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by the brain, Jun 29, 2020.

1. the brain

the brain Senior Member

Home made collar?

I would like advice for a home made foam collar made of this

Cross Linked Polyethylene - 2LB https://www.foambymail.com/XPE2/cross-linked-polyethylene-foam-2lb.html

4"x12"x48" 48" is the longest piece so maybe start off w/ 8' from stern well before midship.

I do have white old fashioned Styrofoam under deck however there’s no telling how much the rodents have destroyed over the years.

Also like the idea of added stability w/ reverse chine effect.

1.Can I start off w/ stern to midship or must the collar be complete length of hull which is 22’.
    2.minimum thickness of foam to see results?
    3,I would like to remove majority of old Styrofoam under deck (for a belly fuel tank) and rely on the collar.
    4. how durable is this type foam I'm thinking it can't be used as a fender?
    5.outside of hull is painted concerned about saltwater being trapped in between hull & foam.
    6. kapten claims speed is increased & fuel consumption is reduced is appealing to me.

I’m basically copying the kapten boat collar.

Also considering a inflatable tube as a collar this would seriously widen the vessel and I’m not enthusiastic about constantly pumping it up.

Thanks for any advice.

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

That foam will require stout encapsulation as it is not very durable or even particularly strong in its raw state.
    How will it be fastened to the hull?
    How much will it weigh?
    How will it affect performance?
    Will the boat still be trailer able?
    The area under the gunnels is underutilized on many boats, and is a premium location for added flotation foam without hacking the whole design!

3. the brain

the brain Senior Member

yes you right there's nothing inside both gunnels except for control cables and hydraulics steering tubes on star side port there's nothing this space is kindof large probally 5"x12" so theres alot of unused space however the freeboard is 3' the vessel would be completely swamped before this area would effect flotation, guess it would help prevent complete sinking. and float level.
    was kindof wanting floatation low on hull to prevent a situation where the engine won't get swamped and disabled.

the packageing foam wasn't my first choice. the life boats collar was however they won't sell to a none collared built vessel. I will be on the lookout for a crashed totalled life boat type vessel for it's tubes or a zodica type inflatable tube maybe filled w/ foam.

LB tubes seam extremely durable so there's probably quite a bite of added weight.
    I've never been on a powered inflatable I'm thinking it's a much smoother ride conpared to solid huls.
    thanks

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  4. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I could fab this and have its seams welded for air tight pontoons.

homemade-collar-3.jpg

5. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Typically, boats with flotation located under the floor will roll over when flooded.
    This is not a great scenario for occupants, they’ve got to hang on to the inverted boats bottom until rescue arrives.
    Flotation under the gunnels allows the boat to remain upright when flooded. Occupants will be wet, but still “in” the boat.
    Adding amas like on the Chrysler shown above will COMPLETELY change the way your boat behaves, and you may not like the changes!

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Adding foam to provide upright floating in the event of hull damage, is a different idea than trying to improve a boat by adding material externally, as mentioned that will change the boats behavior, and is liable to affect the ride adversely if not carefully executed. I very much doubt ride will be improved, but stability might be.

7. the brain

the brain Senior Member

yes you guys are probably correct on the handling is this because of the extra weight involved?

I have plenty of white styrofoam to stuff up in the gunnels, still haven't gotton around to the styrofoam under the dive platform considering just using straps like how fuels tanks are attached to automobiles.

I actually have a AB (zodica) inflatable where I could reuse the side tubes attached to the hull however each tube is only 5'.

was thinking of attaching a PVC tube cut in half to hull that would secure the tube, tubes are like 15" diameter this would probablly smoothen the ride like riding on air.

8. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I like the willard half collar inflatables attached to the side.

?1.why are they so high on the orange rib vessel it seams like the tubes don't touch the water?

homemade-collar-1.jpg

?2.will a half collar keep vessel afloat upright if hull has giant hole?

homemade-collar-2.jpg

?3.or is this not intended for flotation and is basically a fancy bumper or just additional flotation?

9. the brain

the brain Senior Member

underneth hull attachment front.jpg Boat Hypalon Fabric collarless1.jpg
    I may have to design and make my own floatation tubes.then extend the undethnet chine basically building a reverse chineprotecting the tube.

I plan to use 1 ½ cubic feet blocks gluded together and shaped for my hull. so there 90LBs of floatation per block round up to 100LBs I plan 20 blocks per side total extra outside hull redundant floatation that 2K LBs of floatation for each side total of 4K LBstubes estitmated weight is 10lBs each.

Extra floatation. My pocket cruiser hull is 1900LBs convervitly.plus engine.

I would like to slap a couple 20’ tubes and call it a day.

Planned shape is like a D.basieclly double the hulls weight in floatation.would nice to find the amout of water when hull is completely swampped.I assume will complete wsamp happen the outward preasure on the hull is weightless correct. 33 footer.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  10. the brain

the brain Senior Member

the above vessel is classified as a yacht. I would like to duplicate the front emergency hatch/door. currently my door is build for emergency like you have to bend youre body and slide out backwards.in the process of reconfigureing the first5' of cuddys floor layout.
    so I'm cutting this deeper where I can stand under my hatch and exit/enter w/out bending all over.

edit: I have always planned a 5K BTU air conditioner mounted in lower port window or a roof type. fitting in a yatch type front hatch where the middle & starside lower window where.like remove both lower windows and fab the oppreate size for AC/ and enlarged front hatch it that or a sliding door at the helm.

basicelly inclosing the lower front window and I'd like a see though yatch door /window.hatch open settings would be a plus. I'll considering fab my own window/hatch.

here's my orginal e-hatch. DONE 1.jpg DONE 1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  11. the brain

the brain Senior Member

12. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

I get closer to 3500 pounds of buoyancy from the tubes.
    16" diameter would be more like 1000 pounds.
    So much for your moniker...:)

13. the brain

the brain Senior Member

woops my bad I uselly have the anchor shackle at other pivot end of anchor I actelly had to drill the anchor.

14. the brain

the brain Senior Member

Still waiting for responses on the height of collars.

Like why are some real high where otheres are touching the waterline. 2880satabicraft.jpg
    I'd like to duplicate this.
    image.jpeg

here's a raft attached to a vessel. raft attached to fiberglass.jpg

15. the brain

the brain Senior Member

1KLBs =1000LBs
    I like the Saturn inflatatables 15’X 16” radius tubes total added floatation 1KLBs.
    I get closer to 3500 pounds of buoyancy from the tubes.
    16" diameter would be more like 1000 pounds.
    So much for your moniker.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.