Paint Drips - Now What?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by rrrwel, Feb 21, 2010.

1. rrrwel

rrrwel Junior Member

Instead of rolling and tipping I decided to spray a couple of large cockpit panels with a 2 part poly (Alexseal). I'm new to spraying and it came out looking good but I got some drips.

How do I remove them? If I need to buff them out what should I use and how long should I wait regarding paint cure?

Thanks for the advice.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can buy a drip plane at the automotive paint supply. It looks like a miniature plane and works with a razor blade. It takes the worse off. Then you sand with 800, 1200 and buff. 3M Finesse is my favorite. Where in Wisconsin are you?

3. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

yeppers Gonzo, and put soap on the paper and use a block, if you go really fine it,ll polish up ok
    and , when you spray a 2 pac, light one coat, wait 20 mins slightly heavier then finally 20 mins later final , dont let the gun come to close, ah well lessen in spraying can be a long one, there are good topics on it here somewhere Some paints you thin up tp 60%
    depending on your ambient you can use a speed cure additive too

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The planes are only for really bad drips. If not sanding is enough.

5. rrrwel

rrrwel Junior Member

I Live in Oak Creek Gonzo. Does it have to fully cure before trying to sand or would a few days suffice?

Rick

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

A few days is OK, whoosh started on thinning, you cannot spray two pack paints following the directions on the can, they HAVE to be thinned to get a good spray job....I have NEVER seen anyone do it straight from the can and get a good job.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It should fully cure in a day unless you sprayed in an unheated shed. Try your fingernail on the drip. If it doesn't make a mark it is ok to sand. The worse that can happen if the paint is soft is that the paper will clog immediately. Then you know you have to wait a bit longer

8. rrrwel

rrrwel Junior Member

Just for your info I'm using a 4 stage HVLP Turbine, if that changes anything.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.