Seawind 31 rudder design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by aquaslav, Aug 17, 2004.

1. aquaslav

aquaslav New Member

have just found this site. I have a Seawind 31 launched in 1988 in Gosford. Original name was Brandy. When I purchased her her name was Oyster Catcher. I have rechristended her Tora Tora (Tiger Tiger in Japanese). She lies on a swing mooring in Moreton Bay @ Victoria Point, Brisbane. The boat was extended at the stern by approx 1 meter. Somewhere in her life heavy tiller (weather helm) must have bothered an owner and the rudders were modified. From a straight rectangular shape a forward protrusion was added making the rudder look like a Christmas stocking. Consequently it became impossible to lift the rudders out of the water via their box since the "boot" protruded under the hull. Weather helm remained a problem. I have recently cut off the "boots" and am lengthening the rudders to make them about 10 inches deeper. The boots had a surface are of about 140 square inches. My extension will be about 180 square inches. I would love input from anyone who knows the boat, is familiar with Seawind 31's, knows more about rudders than I do (not much) etc. Slava :?:

< Help | Deck Plan >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.