Seawater Strainer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by steve123, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Ae Jae

Ae Jae Junior Member

Glad that your home made strainer worked. I would be concerned about the seal, top and bottom in case stuff could work it's way past and into the impeller. It looks like you have covered that. Good work.
    A

2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

The y strainer for a sendure is a simple pure tube with no expanded ends.
    One end fits into the bronze plug end cap recess as a snug fit.
    The other end of the strainer slips down into a tubing recess in the Y strainer's body.
    Water flows around an expanded area on the exterior of the strainer to the inside of the strainer and out the exit of the 'y' to the pump.

Anyway it works. The original monel basket had been discarded by a previous owner. I priced them at maybe $50 each, so thinking to save the money came up with something for free.
    And it will never corrode away.

Even the light copper wire for stitching I used has been fine, yes the boat is in the Chesapeake Bay, so not full salt but enough salt to make things break down.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.