seawater pump problem

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by urisvan, May 25, 2018.

1. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

i have a yanmar 2gm20 direct seawater cooling diesel engine.

there is a small hole at the elbow of the seawater pump and it is leaking some water, it is just dropping. it is not a problem for cooling system.

what i afraid is,if this elbow breaks and i dont notice while i am sleeping it can be a big problem. first burn the engine and it will cool down when the boat is sinking. probably at that point i will wake up.

i am in Tunisia and planning a long passage until Turkey singlehanded. i can not find parts here and i want to move.

the metal of the elbow in general looks good. i sanded it a little bit and it looks ok. i dont think it will break suddenly. or the hole will get bigger quickly.

what do you think?

Regards
    Ulas

2. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Those bends (in- and outlet) on the 2GM 20 are threaded fittings (standard pipe threads). If there is a hole, there is a reason for it; corrosion. If I were you, I'd take it to one of the "hole-in -the-wall" workshops you find in Tunisia, and have it welded or soldered, or simply substituted for a standard pipe stub.

3. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

hi baeckmo,
    now i realized that it is leaking from the seal of the pump. i think i can live with it for like one month. then i can replace the seal when i arrived Turkey or maybe on the way.
    i think because it is leaking from the seal it will not break suddenly. it will just start ro leak more by time. but still i have time. to find the part here will be difficult. i have to wait.
    what do you think?
    regards
    Ulas

4. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

I don't leave port on a transocianic voyage with known vessel falts.

Gaskets are easily shipped in envelopes deliverable to any snail mail address.

5. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

of course this is ideal. but i have reasons. also boating is compromising. and i will not cross the ocean. it is mediterranian. when i reach to a first world country, things will be easier.

6. Lepke

Lepke Junior Member

Seals usually can be matched by any decent bearing supply. They will also be cheaper then from Yanmar. There are many guides on the internet on how to rebuild water pumps. I carry spare seals for my pumps and change them at maybe 3-5 years. It's a good time to check the bearings.
    Seawater pumps don't produce high pressure, but a leaking seal will get worse. It shouldn't leak more water than a bilge pump can handle. However, the pump may not supply the same volume of water and you may have to reduce engine rpm to keep it cool.

7. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

It will only get worse.
    Make sure your life preservers are within easy reach and sleep on the deck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.