Closed Cell Foam Rubber Floatation

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Dec 19, 2005.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Closed Cell Foam Rubber (sponge rubber) is used in many floatation devices. I'm talking about life preservers, boat seat cushions, even floating toys and pool noodle tubes.

In the RIB thread I've found sponsons and pontoons filled with closed cell foam.

I've searched the Internet for foam suppliers, and have not come up with a lot. Once you get into trade names like "Durafoam" the choices become fewer still.

Let's say I had a row boat and wanted to add some buoyancy to it. I could wrap/encase the outside with a big sheet of foam rubber (neoprene based or other non-moisture absorbing material) and cement it to the hull. A variation on this would be to get some really big foam noodles and secure them to the sides of the hull - one big noodle tube each side or lots of little ones up the sides. We could even set them up as out-riggers. Yep, we will be increasing drag and resistance, but will be able to put a lot of payload in, and venture in to very shallow waters as well.

This is all theory at the moment - but I'm sure some nut has already tried it already. If you find them - post them.

I'm not interested in rigid foams - flexible lightweight foams only.

I know that the flexible stuff can be heavier than the rigid foams (extruded polystyreen) but for reasons I don't want to debate at the moment I'm seeking the soft stuff.

Links, names, phone numbers and the like will be appreachiated.

I don't want to get killed on shipping, but anything from around the world is game - just to make it interesting.

Sock it to me.:)

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I found fenders to be close to what I'm looking for. However after talking to a supplier it looks like they take standard .7" roll sheet material and glue it between each layer - like a coil of plywood veneer off a tree - in reverse of course.

http://www.sailboatstuff.com/mor_fenderLg.html
    [​IMG]

A little on the high side for me, I'm sure someone has to pay for the engineering, labor and machinery.:cool:

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

5. w_water

w_water Class III

I just wanted to reply in this thread because;

a) i'm looking for hard to find materials as well, yours came up in a search

b) you appear lonely in here cause you're the only one who replied

c) :D

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

The ecco always keeps me company.;)

Most of my calls to foam rubber companies went unreturned. The ones that were returned yielded no results.

As far as I'm concerned the whole industry is closed cell.:D

I have done some abrasion tests on foam pool noodle material, not promising at all should you ever beach your craft. I'm thinking some kind of coating or lamination will be required, and the built-in ablity to drain or air out the material.

7. georgelewisray

georgelewisray Junior Member

Industrial Insulation, et. al. ......

Industrial Insulation closed cell like neoprene is available in sheets.

Defender Industries: (marine supply) sells closed cell for boat cushions.

Foam suppliers for mats used in gymnastics, etc

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Thanks I had found a supplier in metro Detroit which gets shipments from Chicago (would be direct to me), could get a whole three foot diameter roll for about $500. Sounds like a lot, but the roll had more than double the Square feet than buying it in sheets from other sources at the same price.

I'm not having all that much luck on their website, lots of cool stuff though.

http://www.defender.com/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.