18hp Evinrude converted to remotes

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Feb 28, 2017.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

I have converted my 18hp evinrude from tiller to remotes,I have left the tiller/accelerator handle connected.
    Is this detremental to the power output?although the handle is too stiff to use the accelerator
    because it has to also operate the cables,the remote works fine.
    Is it better to take off the tiller handle?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Not sure how you have it setup, but it sounds homemade. Factory setups use a separate arm, some are attached where a regular tiller would be, others not. If you can work the steering, but modifications have made the throttle portion too stuff to function, consider a remote throttle too. A simple slider or lever and cable is all it takes, of course once you adapt the ends and need to run more cable.

3. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Hi PAR,
    I have steering (remote) and both gear and throttle cables from a control box on the starboard side next to the driving seat.
    It was possible to connect both cables with the tiller arm in situ.
    The tiller arm throttle grip turns when the remote cables are operated.
    Because of the extra weight of the cable system on the twist grip throttle,it is too stiff
    to use manually,but does turn when the remote throttle cable is operated.
    In effect,they are both connected.
    Leaving both connected seems to make no difference to the performance.
    It would suit me to not have to remove the tiller arm if possible.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.