searching for schools...

Discussion in 'Education' started by Hansail, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Hansail

Hansail New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for Yacht and boat design schools, I'm planning to take a distance learning program,
    and was wondering about the Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology.. i would appreciate your opinions about the Institute..or any other advices on how to get stated..:)

thanks!

2. joz

joz Senior Member

Hansail

see westlawn's website: www.westlawn.edu for more information or wait a reply from Stu Waring or Dave Gerr which are instructors of the school. You could also do a serch on this site which will bring up many discussions forums on the subject.

I hope that helps.

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

You may need to decide on what you mean by "design". There are plenty of successful yacht and boat "designers" out there, at both the very high and very low ends, who are never involved in the petty and mundane naval architecture calculations or composite layup cost calculations. A one-man boat shop turning out dorys and a designer in a mega-yacht studio will never truly need what many "yacht and boat design schools" will teach you.

A successful one-off vessel, or a production yard, needs to be supported by the triad of design (the look and usefulness), engineering (the physics and materials), and construction (the physical construction and economics). These three factors have both synergistic and antagonistic relationships with one another. It is rare to find someone able to do or teach all three well, or even adaquately, without having occupied and learned each of the postions. And the educational path into each position is very different.

You need to decide where you want to end up in 5-10 years before you decide which way to turn. An Art school, University, or apprenticeship may be more suitable for what you want to end up making a career in.

bajansailor and MikeJohns like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.