Searching for fuel efficient powerboat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Chuck Losness, Apr 29, 2011.

1. boatgm2

boatgm2 Junior Member

The anchor on the bow roller of the tri is 80 lbs its normally stowage on a stern roller, the rode is lead through the bow roller. I carry four anchors, the 80lb plow , a pick , and a fortress, a parachute with chain and rodes.
    It’s funny to think a anchor would overload the boat - today I loaded 2.5 tones of books and school supplies and a ton of fuel (1000Lt). Between now and Christmas I will cover 1000 miles with the last trip being a load of toys.
    For what I use this boat for its works well. One interesting trick - with a few pvc pipes and a 2:1 block and tackle a truck will slide the boat up a steep beach.

2. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Thanks for the reply

Do you think with a slight massage something additional could be done with that design?

[​IMG]

thinking along the lines of:
    Aft cabin with queen sized bed and shaded deck on top (BBQ area and keep sun off cabin)
    Centre cockpit with motor under floor
    Cabin pushed fwd a bit

[​IMG]

Sort of a racier possibly more efficient version of Mike Allens Banka 50

[​IMG]

OMG, I haven't even launched what I have and I am thinking of the next one
    Somebody give me a massive uppercut

3. longcours62

longcours62 Junior Member

When we project our actual boat during a moment (as we wrote on the page "passagemaker cherchez l'erreur" ) we look to power trimaran.
    I like the concept of this one ,but unfortunately I just know 'metal' work and I am not able to built so light !
    In alloy 21m oal,2 m beam at wl draft 0,9 m with arrangement ,one 200 hp engine and 4m3 of diesel ...I still arrive at around 17/18000 kgs ! With the arrangement volume of a small 12 m motor boat .
    But if somebody designed something like that it could be our next boat .(if we will never go in marina because 21 m X 7 m , single engine some windy days it could be hazardous

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

One thing thats often overlooked in alternative design is alternative fuels. Not the standard solar or hybrid but the wide variety of oils that can be run in the IDI diesels. Used Motor oil actually has more BTU's than diesel fuel and is pretty easy and cheap to get. I just built a system as kinda an experiment towards my own build. The idea of a efficient boat is to lessen costs and still be able to get out on the water and have some fun. Anyway I rebuilt an engine recently to run on WMO and if there's any doubt of the viability of these types of alternative fuels you might want to take a listen to this video as I try and tune my engine. Eventually I'll apply what I've learned to my retirement build

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/bostonpyramidbuilder/?action=view&current=DSCN0256.mp4

Running on waste motor oil its important to have it tuned just right, in the film I'm trying to guess at the proper timing, I don't have a descent timing light for a diesel yet, so I'm kinda just going by the sound, power, smoke. Once I get descent power I can adjust for the smoke. After that its making sure its smooth with no misses.

The hull is important but the power plant must also be in keeping with the design, if your after fuel efficiency it all starts with the fuel you chose to run with.

best of luck with your project
    B

5. longcours62

May be the bigger problem for use Used Motor Oil is to find a solution for meet the 'pollution regulation'
    Actualy ,here (in Europe) it 's even forbidden to burn them in heater (before all garages was heated free with used motor oil and big smoke ... ).
    Long time ago we had an old OM636 and in the documentation they clearly wrote it is able to run with :
    vegetable oil, petrol for lamp etc
    The last time we refueling in Tunisia ,but at the wrong place (you must refueling where fishermen go !) and when we saw the color ,the paraffin, what the filters catch ! we thinking our 'diesel' it's made with used motor oil, vegetable oil and ,maybe for one small part real diesel !!!
    But with good filters it works on the Perkins but it 's worst with new common rail engine car , more "noisy' with cold engine ...

6. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

My son is currently running his VW tdi Corrado on B99 from the pump as its quieter,not noisier, i have no knowlege of WMO. If i had a powerboat i would set it up to run on WVO, i think a boat is a good application for the conversion as you are typically running for hours at a time which makes it worthwhile.
    Steve.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

there's a lot of carbon ash in used motor oil, it can be removed with a $100 centrifuge and ends up looking like brand new oil. Won't belch that black cloud we're all familiar with. The EPA would never know the difference between exhaust gas from diesel or oil once the oil is properly conditioned. I've got one but it arrived all screwed up so I'm not using it yet. But eventually I'll have one on the boat.

8. freshalaska

freshalaska New Member

fuel efficient trawler

You might do a search on this boat. Driftwood trawler, Schucker 40'. It was a motorsailer converted to a trawler. Should burn about or less than 1 US gallon an hour at 6 1/2 knots. I was going to buy this boat and had a survey done on it 14 months ago.

9. freshalaska

freshalaska New Member

philippine motor banca

Long and narrow and shallow, pretty fuel efficient as well. Not the best in a big sea however.

Attached Files:

10. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

In Puerto Princessa harbour, a much more upmarket version of above.

[​IMG]

11. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

I would have thought it would do better

http://www.sakuracharter.com/

12. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Hows this for economical

White Powercat 40

ENGINES
    2 x Iveco 30hp, diesel
    Approx Hours – 180 hours
    3 Blade Propellers
    Hydraulic Power Steering
    Cruise Speed – 10 knots @ 2100rpm, consumes 1 litre for 2 NM, cruise range 360NM
    Max Speed – 16 to18 knots
    http://www.allboat.co.nz/allboat-catalogue/white-powercat-40

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. longcours62

14. G.CAS.SR.

G.CAS.SR. G.CASS.SR

Ok, if you get it sold, my Trojan is still forsale. I have pictures available.....GERRY

15. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

cool boat, looks like you drive it from a lounge room, nice helm in the winter.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.