Replacement deck

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lutefisk george, May 9, 2021.

1. Lutefisk george

Lutefisk george New Member

Hi guys.

Currenlty have a 40 yr old channel islands 22. The deck is in okay condition but the hatches are heavy and not in great positions.

Shes a semi D hull, round bottomed so a bit rolly.
    Idea is to replace the deck with something lighter- nidaplast grp so i can relocate the hatches to some more sensible positions. The hatches are so awkward that it takes 10 mins to manouvere a standard sized leaisure battery out of them.

The deck is currently 3 inches under waterline, i would also have the opportunity to raise the deck above waterline but this is an afterthought. Self draining decks would be nice but not essential.

Question is would lightening the weight of the deck help or hinder with roll/stability by reducing mass higher up than the bilges, or not. Bilge to top of deck is currently 26cm. Dont fancy changing the way the boat acts unless its for the better.

TIA guys.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum George.

Here is a link to a thread on here (started in December 2019) about Channel Islands 22 motor boats -
    Channel Islands 22 https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/channel-islands-22.63231/

I posted on this thread a copy of the catalogue that I have for this vessel.

Does your CI 22 have a single engine, or twins?
    Re how your deck is 3" below the waterline, I wonder if all the boats in this class are like this as well?
    We are talking about the cockpit sole here - I presume that it is fibreglass covered plywood?
    I think that if you replace it with foam cored fibreglass, you will probably save some weight, but the effect on your stability will be negligible - especially so in comparison to the effect of a typical 80 kg crew member standing on the deck (or two crew even).
    If you do replace it though (and this would be quite a big job), then it would be worthwhile raising the sole by say 4 - 5" to make it self draining (this is a good safety feature).

3. Lutefisk george

Lutefisk george New Member

Thanks for the info.

Its a single engine, yes all of them had the below waterline deck and it was the reason they stopped making them as they couldnt get the ce mark without self draining.
    The deck is grp covered ply. Good to know the effect would be negligible. I didnt want to make anthing worse.
    Ive undertaken a few boat resto projects now so am handy with grp. Ripping out the deck and replacing is within my capabilities, just thought id check stability wise with people more clued up to design.
    Cheers.

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

You could also try asking your question on the YBW Forum in Britain (there is a link to it in my link above) - Kawasaki and Longjohnsilver on this forum both used to have CI 22's, and they love to chat about them (especially Kawasaki - he is a loquacious Taffie :) )

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.