Tayana 58

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im going the the 3rd Auction of a Tayan 58 in an hour. I has been half sunk to a knee deep , Yanmar engine is considered lost as is gen wiring AC and pumps . The deck ware is impressive and is untouched with hydraulic furling and main. and some serious winches. Teak deck is screwed and loose everywhere , sails are said to be shot.

Interior is soddened but intact. Windows have been closed since the sinking incident.

It is being sold by government auction but in a weird way by lawyers that sell houses. It is being lowered each time until some one buys it.

I said that is a Dutch auction.

Reserve today is 120,k US. You need to lodge 20 k US to bid and have to pay and clear in 7 days.

Some have valued it at only 20 k I think 80K.

I think today will just be another waste of time ---unless I stand up and say something !!!

Some people get so pessimistic and get themselves all worked up then cant see the wood for the tress.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Go low...super low. Sunk boats need all new systems ,wiring and interior furnishing Since its a big boat this replacement gear will be expensive and time consuming to fit.

If you dont get it cheap , let the fool who bid high pour all his money into it for a year , then buy it off him cheap when he goes bankrupt.

In the shipyard is a 20 meter Ferretti motoryacht that sank at the dock. It has had 4 owners and piles of money spent on it over the past 7 years. Its still in the yard...the port athorities have chained it for non payment and it will go to auction once again !!!!!

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

SOLD

A guy came a long lodged a cheque and bid 120,000 us dollar.

The boat is a mess inside. I think hes paid too much.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

This was an interesting story, but too short. Perhaps there will be an epilogue?

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Just out of idle curiosity, How did the govt. come by this gem?

A. It was sunk before they got it.

B. It was sunk when they got it.

C. It sunk after they got it.

That is the problem with these deals. There is always some idiot that thinks they are worth three times what they are. I heard about an old Tiberon that sunk on the hard. It filled up with rainwater and punched through the jackstands and fell over. I was going to look it over when I heard somebody paid 20K for it. I was thinking $500, back rent, and three months advance for the yard bill. Keep after it. Eventually, your boat will find you if you keep sniffing around.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The boat was owned by an American who was taken away by the US FBI.

He had been living here with out passport and was wanted big style for ponzi manipulation .

The boat was put for auction after a long time trying to sort out laws that allows the selling of someone else's porperty.

The Marina was owed 20.000 us I was told yea thats many years.

Some time between auction 1 and auction 2 It took water one night to knee level while at her dock. Very strangely the reason for that was never found.

It only went down by a foot but inside was all over just about most mechanical stuff.

The muslm lawyer in black head dress spoke in perfect English said" only one bidder has complied with the depost and registration, the boat will be auctioned now for 375,000 ringet, ( 120k US) first, -- second,-- third sold".

The new owners were very pleased and spent all afternoon walking about her Yet they have 7 days to pay in full. So she might well just be back up for sale again!!

7. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Aus Customs confiscated a drug smuggling ketch rigged yacht a few years ago that went to auction on Gold Coast.

Ketch was very well built 62' aluminium hull, unusual twin 4cyl Volvo engines/shaft drive, very professional fit out and rigged built in South Africa.

Sold for a pocket change AU$350K worth min 3 times that. I think people were reluctant to bid because it had been a smuggler

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Well sometimes old business associates come to visit.........

9. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

I was asked to survey the vessel by a interested buyer but he backed out last minute.
    The yacht was superb, ideal set up for long range cruising. Owner sailed it from ZA but didn't know he had been unders survailance from cape Town, got sprung in Qld waters.

I would have bid on the yacht myself but had just begun building my own financial sink hole in the ocean, the boat to see out my days cruising.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.