To High Fill Or Not?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Harry Kosta, May 15, 2007.

1. Harry Kosta

Harry Kosta Aussie

Hello every body,long time since my last post.
    I have a Question that I need some feedback on.
    While building my big boat out of 6mm Alloy plate naturally did not get or very
    little distortion.
    On the small boat that I'm building at the moment 3mm plate.
    The bottom of the hull looks like the bloody sand dunes.
    Ripples every where(mostly from the centre back).
    The boat has got to to close to 50mph when finished(hoping)
    Would this concave some as deep as 10mm (450mmx450mm) affect performance?(looks crap) or should I high fill them with microballoons(bog/filler)
    Would this filler crack when loading the boat on it's trailer?
    Will be painting the bottom sides with polyurethane 2pack.
    Any Ideas ?

Hazza

2. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

It has no effect below the waterline. The German boat that raced in the one ton cup in Auckland in the 70s looked like a bucket that survived a buffalo stampede, but the designers believed that the weight of fillers would cost more in performance than the humps and hollows, as long as they were smooth humps and hollows.. Hollows can be jacked out from the inside with a hydraluic jack on a post and held there by welding a short stringer under it. Humps can be similarly done from the outside. These short stringers will be covered in sprayfoam and will never be seen again, so it doesn't matte rwhat they look like.This is a far better option than filler ,as it will never fall off.
    Brent

3. Harry Kosta

Harry Kosta Aussie

Thanks for the reply Brent.
    As it's been awhile since I asked the Q, I when ahead with straighting as much as possible ,then epoxied undercoated the underside.
    I used Q-cell as afiller upto 5-7mm thick in some areas 1mm in majority.
    I sealed it with 2 coats of undercoat than I used a co-polymer paint.
    It looks and fills like ceramic very strong and hard to apply smoothly.
    It's supposed to be 40% stronger than Polyurethane and it adhesives to 8000psi compared
    to 1800psi .
    See what happens:p

Hazza

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.