Seamanship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Guillermo, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Let's talk seamanship. I propose this thread as a place where to post and discuss tales and personal opinions about it, as well about the men/women involved in such tales, be them 'heros or wackos'

Something to begin with, about an 'heroic wacko': William Willis.
    http://www.sailingmagazine.net/fullby0407.html

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Guillermo sinceramente convenido. Y puedo sugerir para los que todavía no lo han satisfecho - Tristran Jones y su viaje increíble.

Wholeheartedly agreed, Guillermo. And for those who haven't yet met him (though there can't be many) can I recommend Tristran Jones and his Incredible Voyage.

3. Guillermo

This Tristan Jones...?
    http://www.tristanjones.org/

From there:
    "Recently the truth of Tristan Jones "lives" has been published in a detailed biography by Anthony Dalton. Here we learn that most of his life was a fabrication with many stories being total fiction." :confused:

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Guillermo, just read that article, makes me feel like a wimp by comparison! Oh well best go and build me raft out of beer cansand sail across the Tamar to England! that's about me limit these days! (well it will be fun entering the cans anyway - might tkae abit of time tho' being a bit of a fat sod these days and needing the bouyancy!!

5. Guillermo

Mike, I've also got my own share of belly buoyancy lately...! ;)

6. safewalrus

Again Guillermo don't ruin a good 'dit' Bergalia will be upset, him being a bit of a Navy man himself! Lot of the old Royal Navy men prone to a bit of bullsh** you know (whoops, as I were saying!!.......after several years on Her Majesties Grey Warcanoes):D

7. Guillermo

Definition of seamaship

"Skill in navigating or managing a boat or ship"
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/seamanship

"The skill of a good seaman; the art, or skill in the art, of working a ship"
    http://dict.die.net/seamanship/

"Skill in sailing"
    http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/SEAMANSHIP

"The skills and abilities required to efficiently and safely operate a ship"
    http://www.seatalk.info/cgi-bin/nau...tter=s&sb=Term&view_records=View Records&nh=5

"The art of operating a ship or boat"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical

Any other? Which would be your own definition?

8. safewalrus

"getting home in one piece?"

"the ability to go somewhere in a boat without breaking anything or hurting anyone or loosing them in the process - neatly encompassed in the above!"

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Ah Guillermo, Guillermo. The best and most believable tales are grounded in fiction. "One should always have something sensational to read in the train...." Oscar Wilde. Who really cares if Jones stretched the truth - his books are pure entertainment - and let's face it...could have been...
    As a Welshman he has the gift of the Celtic love of exaggeration. It's the basis of all European literature. As for Dalton ? What's he ever done to entertain as Jones has done. A dull stodgy writer, dusty, and will no doubt soon fade from the pages...
    :D

10. safewalrus

Your point being? Bergalia, mate, you'll be saying Mr Frost spins a good dit next and that just won't wear!!!!!!;)

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

My point being my old flower is that a good yarn is worth all the dry 'technically correct - mass of exact detail' acounts you can wave a boathook at. Give me an Tristran Jones over a Readers Digest 'Pocket explorer' any day. Perhaps he didn't do all that his books claimed - or even any of the adventures described (and you can't imagine how it pains me to defend a Welshman, Dylan Thomas excepted) but did Stevenson have to serve aboard a pirate ship to write Treasure Island; Giovanni Guareschi be a Catholic priest or Communist mayor to write the Don Camillo stories; Cervantes dress up in home-made armour to write Don Quixote; Shakespeare 'black up' to write Othello; Steinbeck become an Oke to write Grapes of Wrath... et al...And I doubt old Hans Christian went on a diet of fish to write the Little Mermaid. And yes, even the boy Jack frost has merit in using his imagination.
    It's in the telling of the tale, Walrus. That's where the value lays.
    Come old chum, why the bile :p

12. Guillermo

I'm beginning to really like you, Bergalia! :)

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

De un hombre mayor tal como usted mismo Guillermo - tomo que como elogio. Le agradezco.:D

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Iye tis amose loose aboot the hoos.Ey we laddy willya be ginen us awedram o th ole vino there me we we bonny lad. Nal na beavin yer tek th pis oot me.

Il na be putn up we ye feny tak anal.. N-Gi us a pinta bitta befar i asta ge te wek.

Jeees I think thats Jordie?

15. safewalrus

aye your right Bergalia - the bile? well primarily because it winds people up and you know me mate can't miss a good old wind up (niether can Jack which is why we have so much fun! Gets everybody else going - and we do have this duty towards our readers - OK Nice over, I try not to do it too often!!)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.