sealing the hull

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by tdsherman325, Jun 12, 2009.

1. tdsherman325

tdsherman325 New Member

I'm in the planning phase of building my first boat, a 12' rowboat. It's from very easy plans and I hope I don't have too much trouble.

However, the plans that I have are kinda old and, when sealing the chines to the transom and such, instruct the use of twine and white lead. Twine I can get, but I'm pretty sure that they don't sell white lead anymore. I'm even more sure that I don't want to use it.

So, what can I substitute for the white lead?

Thanks,
    Terry

2. tdsherman325

tdsherman325 New Member

Here are the plans if anyone needs to see them.

Like I said, it's a very simple and easy design. I wanted to start with something fairly uncomplicated.

Thanks,
    Terry

Attached Files:

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Use polysulfide and you won't need the twine

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Gonzo's got it, use 3M 101 (polysulfide) and pack it into the seam tightly with a plastic applicator or putty knife. You can sand off excess when fully cured, but this can take a while depending on conditions. Hot and humid helps the cure. Hanging soaking wet towels over the area really helps.

5. tdsherman325

tdsherman325 New Member

Exactly what I was looking for; thanks!

Of course, at $30 a 10 oz tube, the sealant is likely to be the most expensive part of the project now, but, as I don't particularly want to have to dredge the boat out of lake Fort Phantom, I suppose the cost is worth it.

Thanks Again,
    Terry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.