Sailtrack in carbon spar....?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by henrikb, Mar 9, 2004.

1. henrikb

henrikb Senior Member

Sailtrack on carbon spar section....?

Was looking at a carbon mast section at the boatshow a couple of weeks ago... I came to think of how do they get the mast track into the section? Is it a 2 stage process where a tube for the track is prefabricated and put into the mould?
    Anyone who knows?

2. dna

dna New Member

Hi Henrik,
    c-tech who make carbon spars in New Zealand use a plastic track that is glued to the mast section. It seems that you don't need to bond on a rigid track, in fact a flexible one is better with a flexible mast.

http://www.c-tech.co.nz/producttrack.htm

Cheers,
    dna

3. grob

grob www.windknife.com

Selden (swedish), also do a similar product, I know because I saw it at the dinghy show a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately as I only I have a price list I cannot identify the part number.

If anyone can I would like to know it.

Gareth

4. Anthony DeLima

Anthony DeLima Junior Member

Hen: We buy an extrusion here that we post apply to the mast after it is built but this only applies to small spars (up to 10m) for integral tracks the spar has to be bladder molded in a female tool or inthe case of a mandrell wrapped spar (filament wound braided, or hand placed pre-preg the mandrell must accomidate a tube to be cut into later. I have recently been gluing onthe new Shafer 7/8 C track for masts up to 16m and this seems to be both cost effective and an attaractive alternative to the more complex internal tracks (oh ya and if something dammages the trackthe spar is recoverable). If you want any part #'s ping back.
    Thanks Tony

5. I replaced the plastic track on my carbon spar when it split with the high off-wind latteral loads from the full batten on my viper 830. Mike Thompson of T-Boats put me on to KZ marine for a lightweight aluminum track which we bedded with 5300 and stainless rivetted every 4". No more split.

6. Anthony DeLima

Ya: I agree this would be up there onthe limit for a plastic track especially if full battens are to be considered. I have been thinking about having a second extrusion die cut to make an appropriate size track for this size boat. I kind of like the design Tides marine has out but it is HDPE and cannot be bonded, a little brother to this in polycarbonate would be a gift.
    Tony

7. Icomps

Icomps Junior Member

Can you send some details about the track section you are bonding on, is it composite?? and what do you use to bond track?

cheers

8. Anthony DeLima

Track Material

I use 3M 5200 to bond the track in place. I have tries some MMA (Plexus) with some good results but the durability of the urethane is truly superior. The other adhesives require that the end of the track be overlayed with a little composite (too much work). The 5200 glued in place will cause material failure of the spar prior to release.
    Tony

9. National3434

National3434 Junior Member

UK source of plastic track?

I am building a Moth mast from Pullwound tubes in the UK. But I am having trouble finding a luff track. I would prefer plastic but will go with aluminium if there is no alternative. Holt used to produce both plastic and Alloy but do not any more.

Anyone know a UK source?

Importing from C-Tech NZ (via an agent) is much too expensive.

Cheers

10. grob

grob www.windknife.com

Superspars do this product. http://www.superspars.com

Be careful of pullwound tube, it can be very poor, try and get a sample before you buy, I have come accross pullwound that is strong in bending but you can crush it in your hand! Not enough fibres running around the tube.

Gareth

11. grob

grob www.windknife.com

I see from another post you got your pullwound tube from woolmer, what do you think of it, I got some OD 76.2 x 2 wall from a different supplier and while it was cheap when I squeeze the end in my hand you can hear it cracking! It has put me off pulwound but perhaps different layups are better.

Also beware of Alu. fittings with carbon tube, i.e. mast track you will get corrosion problems if they are not isolated.

All the best

Gareth

12. National3434

Re Woolwer.
    I have used their 60x55 tube for a boom and their 16x13 for a jib pole on my N12. Used for last season and proved robust. No problems at all and not a single rivetted or screwed attachment on either!

13. National3434

Process?

Tony,
    I have built my mast from pulwound carbon tubes and now want to bond on a track. I have sourced an Alu track and 3M 5200. Will 5200 work with Alu?

Is there a 'back yard' procedure to follow which results in a tidy job or are jigs required? Problems like getting the track straight. Glue everywhere or not enogh glue come to mind. What about surface preparation. Any advice welcome!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.