Tufboard

Discussion in 'Materials' started by pogden, Oct 19, 2005.

1. pogden

pogden Junior Member

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I'm not sure exactly what the stuff is, to be honest; these proprietary plastic miracle boards are always secret formula.... I've had some very nasty experiences with plastic boards in some situations. If you can get a sample of the stuff, try laminating a few test pieces and then try to peel them apart... sometimes it's darn near impossible to get a solid core-skin bond with these things. Tufboard appears to be meant as a panel in its own and has an extremely smooth high-density skin- its structure, really, is similar to a cored transom in its own right. I would advise you tread with caution and test your plans on a small scrap piece before attempting a transom.

3. pogden

pogden Junior Member

Matt,

That sounds reasonable. I've seen it at Home Depot- to be used as wood trim replacement. I will get a piece and do a little experimenting. I will post my results later this winter.

Thanks

4. John ilett

John ilett Senior Member

The link you give says the panel has MDF (meduim desity fibreboard) skins. You can't put this stuff in a boat. It's like compressed paper. I have been told MDF is banned in the US but it is abundant here in Australia. Used for furniture, plugs and anything dry.

Plywood is good, just plan your fastenings and holes when building so when you drill anything it does not pass through timber. Remove the ply where there are holes and fill with solid resin with fillers.

5. raymond

raymond Junior Member

John,
    Can you tell me more about the MDF board is banned in US in the boat industrial? Because I do use it for some of the furniture construction.

Thanks

Raymond

6. John ilett

John ilett Senior Member

I do not know of the details in the US but I believe it is carcinogenic. The dust/glue is not good. But then not much in boat building is really good for you is it? Paints, fillers, dust solvents,,,,,:)

7. chandler

chandler Senior Member

MDF is used all the time in the US as a paintable interior trim; baseboard etc. in homes. Carcinogen? Build a home and start with Pressure treated lumber; carcinogen, build a boat with epoxy;carcinogen.
    MDF in a boat? I wouldn't recomend it. It's great indoors but soaks up water like a mop and falls apart.

8. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

All those wood chip type of panels are a REAL crap shoot. There are no standards, ever.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.