Steel for 26 M KIT (85')

Discussion in 'Materials' started by brettschneider, Oct 1, 2005.

1. brettschneider

brettschneider New Member

Hello,
    I want to build this boat:
    http://www.bruceroberts.com/public/HTML/EURO26.htm
    Comment from the page:
    ##In our cutting shops we use 6000 mm x 2000 / 19 ft 6 in x 6 ft - 6 in size sheets and occasionally 8000 mm x 2000 mm / 26 ft 3 ins x 6 ft - 6 in sized plate. We can of course re-nest these parts to shorter plates ( more cutting and welding ) but we feel that the width of the plates is even more important ... any plate under 2000 mm / 6 ft - 6 in in width will mean some hull plates have to be cut lengthwise; not recommended because of excessive welding which will adversely effect the final appearance of the hull.##

The owner of this page wants a lot of money for the cutted pieces. Does anyone know who could order and cut steel when I give him the cutting files?
    thank you!
    Jens Brettschneider

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Looks like a very nice boat to me.... if it were 3m shorter I'd want one myself.

I don't know any German shops, being in Ontario. What technology is your shop planning to use to cut the parts? With what accuracy? I have been quite shocked several times at just how expensive cutting parts like this can be.... to get high accuracy requires a skilled operator and some very expensive equipment (plasma, waterjet, whatever- to get high precision means high $$).

Just curious, what was the price quote you got?

3. chantelormerod@

chantelormerod@ New Member

Please let me know what the costing works out to if you don't mind, because I am thinking of doing the same thing with one of the Bruce Roberts designs.

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

If you have already the cutting files, what's the use to ask people in the US for cheap cutting?
    Very close to you are many workshops who will and can do the job.

In 4 working days the whole ship is cutted and marked. What's the deal?

5. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Very close to you there are a number of plasma-cutting facilities that can do the job for a bit of money.
    What's the use to ask people in the US for a quotation?

In 4 working days the whole ship lies on the floor, marked and well; what's the deal?

6. chantelormerod@

chantelormerod@ New Member

Dear D'Artois,

I did not say I had the cutting plans yet. I merely asked because I was trying to guage what the approximate cost comparison would be between purchasing the pre cut kit or buying the cutting plans and having it plasma cut.

Perhaps someone else will know.

7. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Your problem is just the fact that to whomever you go, you pay the price. once the job has been done, the next orders are just profit. The first principal carries most of the costs involved. Euroship knows that and therefore they want to receive a top-price. The real problem is that anybody carrying out this job, you may find as a competitor on your way later on.
    Everybody who has the cuttingfiles can copy and copy and copy.....
    If it's a simple single chine hull, what I believe it is, Vripack might be a good resource for the expansions.

8. Pascal Lagrou

Pascal Lagrou Junior Member

26m steel boat

Hi Brettschneider,

You can send me you cuttingfiles,i can cut it,i think it is about 45 tons yes?
    I have my yard in Gdansk Polen,and at the moment i am buzy to order about 1100 tons grade A with cert.BV for a coaster that we start to build in about 6 weeks,we cut this steel in about 7 days,so 45 tons more will be no problem,and the price will be also attractive, about 1.2 eur ex yard,you will need 2 trucks for transport to Germany.we also can build your casco,we will need about 6 weeks for this and professional work.
    Best Regards
    Pascal Lagrou
    pascallagrou@hotmail.com

9. boltonprofiles

boltonprofiles Senior Member

Steel for 26m Kit (85')

Hello Brett,

We have cut Bruce Roberts Design kits in the UK (please look on our website http://www.boltonprofiles.com). The Spray series mostly. We also cut trawlers and canal boats as well.

Perhaps we can help you in this case as I do not know of anyone in Germany but please be careful on the quality of the profiles no matter where you go for them and take plasma cut high definition profiles as a minimum spec. cut as you have said on the larger plate sizes.

Although the industy norm is a tolerance of plus/minus 2mm for plasma cutting, our state of the art high definition machines using nitrogen with a new consumable can achieve as good as a regular 0.1mm - although we would never market or sell profiles at that tolerance. I am just saying what is regularly possible with regards to quality if some care is taken. There is testimony available from our customers to back up this claim for example on a 460c Bruce Roberts Yacht which we have just completed. (not my own).

Plasma cutting does not have to be big bucks either as with the correct software and some experience and knowledge it is possible to reduce your steel content significantly over the given nests (which will probably be based on Dutch steel sizes). Steel in mainland Europe is also historically dearer than home produced UK steel which is among the best quality in the world.

We can be very competitive on plasma so if I can be of any further help please let me know.

Paul.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.