Seal Team Six

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hoytedow, May 17, 2011.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I believe "Seal Team Six" is a title that should remain in the public domain, not in the domain of Disney.
    What do you think?
    That is not to say they shouldn't make a movie with that title, if it is respectful of our warriors.

Attached Files:

2. hoytedow

I am glad to hear the USN is challenging Disney on this issue.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

For those who don't know (and I didn't): Disney submitted three separate trademark applications for 'SEAL Team 6,' only two days after the raid that killed Osama bin Laden. The applications covered "entertainment and education services," "toys, games and playthings" and "clothing, footwear and headwear."

The Navy filed its own applications for the terms "SEAL Team" and "Navy SEALs" 10 days later, explaining in the filings that the phrases denote "membership in an organization of the Department of the Navy that develops and executes military missions involving special operations strategy, doctrine, and tactics."

"We are fully committed to protecting our trademark rights," said Commander Danny Hernandez, the chief Navy spokesman.

I just read an article on the Wall Street Journal's website that says Disney is withdrawing its applications, "out of deference for the Navy."

In my opinion, they should never have filed them to begin with. Thanks for bringing the story to my attention, Hoyt.

4. hoytedow

You're welcome Troy. It was a dumb move on Disney's part and did not help their public image.

Go, Navy!

5. wardd

wardd Senior Member

disney made a rational business decision to file, now it's made an ethical decision to withdraw

bet it was for pr more than anything

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I agree it was a PR move to withdraw the applications. And I'm pretty sure ethics had nothing to do with it....:D

1 person likes this.
  7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Probably a good call. The next "Pirates of the Caribbean" might have been tough to insure otherwise.:D

8. PSG-1

PSG-1 Junior Member

LMAO, maybe they can do one called "Pirates of Somalia" instead. The pirates could be portrayed as goofy klutzes like Wily Coyote, with SEAL Team 6 being like the roadrunner, running circles around these mental midgets, and tricking them into running right off a cliff!

1 person likes this.

9. hoytedow

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.