Is This A Wise Decision?, Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JonBoyee, Jul 11, 2006.

1. JonBoyee

JonBoyee New Member

I have an 11ft Jon boat and am on a limited budget and I was thinking about
    Taking some advice that I learned from this forum with pvc and abs pipeing used for a pontoon, but all I want to do is add a pontoon made from one of these materials to each side of my boat to add some more stability so I can stand and move around , because by no means am I a small man.
    I was wondering if this is a wise decision? And I could use some advise on mounting the pipe so that i can take it on and off for transpirtation purposes?
    Thank You Folks Very Much,
    Jonathan M.

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Why wouldn't it be a good idea? If you have to worry about tipping over every time you fight a fish (or whatever you're doing;) ), sounds like you're on the right track to me.

As far as mounting options, seems like that would be pretty simple to do. Bolt or better yet weld some reinforcement onto the sides of the boat and maybe to the tops of the seats, to spread the load, and you should be able to bolt some kind of support frame on without too much trouble.

3. JonBoyee

JonBoyee New Member

Thank you very much, I was just needed a word of confidence to move forword. another piece of advice i could use is it illigal to make a trailer out of wood minus the chasis?

4. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

That would be a question for your local dmv.

5. JonBoyee

JonBoyee New Member

thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.