Anyone identify this pump?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wynand N, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Can anyone identify this vacuum pump - make and model. I suspect it is an Edwards - got a continuous rated one hp GEC motor (made in UK) fitted with a coupling to the pump.
    It would be interested to know the free air flow (cfm) it has and I can vouch it sucks like a crack *****. Within a second or two from start up it pulls an 88kpa vacuum that is well above the 82kpa for our area - 1280m above sea level.:cool:

I bought this pump together with a Gast 0523 (4.5cfm) unit for a song and a fart on the assumption that for the price they are ok to be overhauled and still be a bargain. What a surprise when they both turn out to be perfect. These pumps will be standby units for my new JB Eliminator 6cfm during vacuum resin infusion.

Attached Files:

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If I was you I'd be very carefull around that thing Wynand. The wife is not going to like it if you get home after 'work' an find you are as plep as a week old lettice laeve, and if that thing sucks as heavy as you say, you may not have any brains left either to come up with any defence.

Those motors are easy to identify.

If it has wood under it it is from the UK
    If it has a sheet metal base it is from the east
    If it has rubber mountings it us from the US
    If it doesn't have mountings, it's from AU
    If it's stripped, motor stolen and in really **** condition it's from SA

:D

Since it seems it's going to be a bit of a problem for you there I think you must give it to me ;)

GEC is the General Electric Co. Made in the east, then the English put a plank under it and it's Brittish :D