Transferring Excel Data To Rhino?

Discussion in 'Software' started by BASIL J WALL, Feb 14, 2012.

1. BASIL J WALL

BASIL J WALL designer

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how to transfer data in EXCEL to Rhino...
    I have an offset table in Excel and need to get it into Rhino in a form which does not require any tidying up...I can get most of the data transferred just by copying but there is too much shifting of data and too much "junk" transferred as well...
    I have eliminated all lines from the table and it is very compact...
    but no manipulation helps with the "junk" or the alignment.

Thanks
    Basil

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I assume you want to transfer point coordinates. It's easy to do using the .csv file format.

1) Create a sheet in an Excel workbook which has the point coordinates. One point per line starting in line 1; x in column A, y in column B, z in column C. Nothing else on that sheet.

2) With the coordinate sheet open, use the Save As command and select CSV (Comma delimited) as the type in the dialog box. Click Save. If the workbook has multiple sheets you may get a warning that the selected file type does not support workbooks with multiple sheets. If so click OK. Next, you may get a dialog box warning that the file may contain features not compatible with CSV format and asking if you want to keep the workbook in that format. Click Yes.

3) Close the file in Excel. Otherwise import into Rhino may not work. You will be asked if you want to save the changes in xxx.csv. Click Yes or No.

4) To import the coordinates into Rhino use the Import command and select File Type of Points File or All. Select the .csv file you save in Excel and click Open.

5) Dialog box will open asking what type of Delimeters. Select Comma. If the PointCloud box is checked the points will be imported as a PointCloud. To import as individual points uncheck the bos. Click OK and the points will be imported into the current laye.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

If you are trying to import a traditional table of offsets you will need to put into a form with one point per line.

4. BASIL J WALL

BASIL J WALL designer

Hi David...
    I have the data in the form of -7-2-11 which represent ft-in-16ths in a 10 by 10
    table with text headings as well
    but it would be much too cumbersome to convert to your method...
    Thanks anyway...
    Basil

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I have an Excel template that I type offsets into and it creates the offsets in a single column sheet which I save in the .CSV format. Typical time to type in a table of offsets is 30 minutes and I haven't had one take over an hour. I'll try to find time to create a set of instructions for the template and post them with the template. Unfortunately while the template is easy to use it may not be obvious how it works at first glance.

I experimented with other approaches and found the template to be the simpliest and least cumbersome for me.

6. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

You can do something like that
    Use offset table to create hull in freeship and then save in Iges format and open this file in Rhino
    Freeship is very good program do create hull from offsets table

7. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Both oustanding tips. Thanks for sharing them.

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

How do you import an Excel file containing a table of offsets into FreeShip? Does the table of offsets need to be re-formated?

9. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

freeship can import a table of offsets - but i don't now what will be the result
    If result is bad then must re-formated file

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What format and organization of the table of offsets is needed by FreeShip? That seems to be the major issue with importing a table of offsets into Rhino.

11. BASIL J WALL

BASIL J WALL designer

12. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Two different tasks. My responses above were about how to get data from a table of offsets into Rhino. But having a table of offsets appear in Rhino as a graphic image as shown in the video is fundamentally different. Note that the pasted table of offsets which appears in Rhino is just a graphic image, not data.

"Snipping Tool" is used in the video to create a JPEG of the portion of the screen showing the table of offsets in Excel. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

Only one BackgroundBitMap image per view is allowed. If there is already an image in a view from BackgroundBitMap it will be deleted when BackgroundBitMap is used to insert another image in that view. PictureFrame can be used to insert multiple images into a view.

Again, pasting an image of a table of offsets into Rhino does not place the values of the numbers in the image into Rhino.

13. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

The best way to create hull in freeship is file in txt:

------------------------------------------------------------
    0 (for mm) or 1 (for inches)

Then you creates a points in format:

X Y Z

Example:

0 0 0 fr.1
    0 0 1
    0 0 2

1 0 0 next frame
    1 0 1
    1 0 2

file must ends :
    EOF

In this way I do couple large hulls for conversions and the result was realy good

Attached Files:

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Both FreeShip and Rhino require a table of offsets be put into a format with the x,y,z coordiantes in a single column. I don't see where one is simplier than the other.

15. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

I am only show how I did a reversengeenering for conversion or repairs a ships like container ship, ferry or fishing vessel. We don`t have a lines drawing or nothing else about ship geometry. And the 3d shape of hull was create form surveying measurment in Freeship and the result was realy good. And based on my experience I show how I do this

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.