Seagull racing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Horsley-Anarak, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Horsley-Anarak

Horsley-Anarak Junior Member

This boat is not planing but it is still doing twice its hull speed ?

Is it semi-planing

H-A

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Semi-planing is not an accurate term. Everyone defines it differently. If you say you rather take the chances of getting disqualified after the race, must as well go fast and blow everyone away. On the other hand, you can do a Dennis Connor, and hold back the speed to just about win and then claim that was you maximum. Racing rules allow you to do certain things, but usually don't cover everything. Some classes specifically say that "anything specifically not allowed under the rules is not legal" That race seems to have looser rules.

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I thought that to decide if a hull was a plaining hull or not you need to take measurements at quarter-beam buttock angle.

Google quarter beam buttock angle

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  4. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

H-A two things you can do .....fit a cone to the front of the gearbox to streamline the water flow and fit streamlining around the two down tubes ...take some card about 12 x18 fold it in half and fit around the tubes in a teardrop shape ...then make in tin plate or aluminium ....works well on electric minkota type outboards so should be good for you.....

5. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

You want to win this race? Strap a few of those light motors on the back of a C1 or C2 Olympic racing canoe (with modified transom to hold the motors). Add a little counter balance in the bow and you're all set. You will cream the competition.

I would suggest getting some practice in it though...they're pretty tippy boats, but for a short race like this there's nothing faster except perhaps the more narrow K1 kayaks or surfskis. These needle thin boats require a paddle for bracing (K1 Olympic stroke).

Regards,

Joseph

6. Horsley-Anarak

This has been done in Newzealand.

I am not sure how well it went.

Running out of time now, 27 days to the race.

H-A

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

The outriggers cause drag. I would suggest mounting them 5 to 6in above the water, that way your waterline is about 18in (or whatever hull width you decide). I race a Huki S1-X with a 17in beam. They come with an optional gull wing. You won't find a faster boat (except perhaps their Huki Z1-X.

[​IMG]

8. Horsley-Anarak

There is one slight problem I am racing in the under 12 foot class.

That would put me in the canoe class.

The shape of you boat is very nice, I can see it would be fast.

Also I need to carry a passenger.

Nice thought though.

H-A

9. Horsley-Anarak

Have just got back from the race.

First in class (under 12 foot).

First over all.

Water was dead flat, and we were flying.

Twice round a 2.5 mile course, we had finished before some people had completed their first lap.

We even beat an 18 foot skiff with an engine twice the size.

There were about forty boats taking part, so I am pleased.

Now I need to start on next years boat.:)

H-A

10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

brillant H-A.....
    love to see some pictures of the finished boat on here as its easy to post .....what was your flying speed and were you on the plane..?

11. Horsley-Anarak

Here a couple of pictures, I am still waiting to see if anyone has a picture of us going flat out.

H-A

Attached Files:

12. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Sounds great. You've got the seagull racing rig humming ! Why not ad Seagull racing headgear for you and your crew ? Intimidate the competition......

Attached Files:

13. Horsley-Anarak

That could do it any advantage is good, just need to keep infront of the pack.

Next Year they are talking about a modified class.

So I will need to sort out a new boat, and work more on the engine.

I do feel that going for a long hull may be the best bet.

I am not sure that I will have enough power for a planing hull design, so will go for long and thin. Perhaps 24' would do it.

H-A

14. osprey19

osprey19 New Member

The Lerryn Seagull Race

From the River Lerryn Yacht Squadron Committee
    The Lerryn Seagull Race.
    We have read with interest the postings on this forum and feel that we should explain the nature and purpose of the Lerryn Seagull Race. It was started 23 years ago with the sole purpose of allowing Lerryn boatowners and other users of the River Fowey to get into their boats in the middle of winter for a competitive fun run. They also dress up their boats and themselves to a "Rig of the day". It never has been intended to be a competition to see how fast you can get a boat to go with a Seagull engine. The rules were deliberately simple and have changed little over time and it has not in the past been necessary to worry too much about the rules because all the competitors entered into the spirit of the race - ie. a village community activity which is able to raise funds for local organisations and charities. We do not intend to change this ethic. Over the years the race has become more widely known and has attracted competitors from all over the UK but most have kept to the rules and spirit of the race.
    H-Anorak's boat is clearly a planing hull and we estimated it's speed in the region of 10 knots which is obviously way above the theoretical hull speed and had to be planing. Incidentally, he well exceeded the Fowey Harbour Authority speed limit of 6 knots and would have incurred a fine if caught by the FHA. Also, there is a very narrow stretch of the course where it is dangerous to have boats going in opposite directions at high speed.
    On this occasion he was given a prize for two reasons; firstly we want everyone who takes part to enjoy themselves and have a good time and secondly the committee felt that he had obviously put a lot of effort into preparing his boat and engine and coming down here for the race and this deserved some merit. However, our committee will reluctantly have to review and tighten the rules and next year's event will be for strictly displacement hulled boats. There may also be a separate class for modified engines.
    For those who want to push their boats and engines to the limit we suggest it would be a good idea for them to organise a different sort of race for themselves. As most harbours have a speed limit it would probably need to be a coastal event.
    We hope this clarifies our position which will not change. R.L.Y.S.

1 person likes this.

15. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Sorry to say what a load of miserable old gits ...it clearly is not planing from the photos and I have never seen a boat plane at 10 knots.......

Thanks H-A for pushing the limits and now another great institution will fade away not due to you but due to ""sad old git phenomena"

To say they gave you an award because of the effort put in is an insult...you played by the rules and won within the rules ....

boats speed is only the speed above which power input is excessive relative to the increase in speed and exceeding it is not planing which is a speed where the hull is supported on top of the water ( keeping it simple)

fortunaltly Ospray 19 has displayed the committee attitudes to the whole world on this forum and I ask you all to give negative feeback to support H-A

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.