Electric lawn mower into outboard motor?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by aannjj, Jul 11, 2007.

1. aannjj

aannjj New Member

I am very new to boat motors as it is but I have been working on a jon boat that needs a motor and I just happen to have a second lawn mower which is electric:idea: . I have herd of converting a gas mower but is it possible to convert this electric mower, and can anybody point me in the direction to start? Thanx :D

2. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

A good start is always to scroll to the bottom of this page to the section called "similar threads". This topic has been raised many times before.
    Good luck aannjj

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

All electric lawm mowers I have seen run off of AC current. So to have one one a boat (motor that is), you either would need a extra, extra long extension cord or an on board ac gas powered generator. Niether real practical.

Guess an inverter with a large battery bank might work also. At that point though you would be better off with a regular DC motor or a gas powered outboard.

Take care.

Tim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.