Pontoon hardtop

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tmise, Feb 28, 2017.

1. tmise

tmise New Member

Decided to do away with the little bitty bimini top that was on boat and in the way and build a hardtop. Just framed it in using 5/4x6 lumber. Measures roughly 8 foot wide by 12 foot long. Boat is a 20 foot pontoon. I think this is going to work great for supplying shade, staying dry and a big one is for rod storage. Think I may use canvas rolled up along the sides and back to drop down when the rain starts blowing sideways and for those times we may want to stay overnight on the boat. Curious as to any ideas for the actual hardtop. I've heard 1/4 inch marine plywood encased in fiberglass. Trying to avoid the fiberglass if at all possible. Just need something simple to use that won't break the bank and will be simple and easy to do. Appreciate all replies, thank you!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.