Sea Sled madness. It’s in my brain.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DogCavalry, Nov 11, 2019.

1. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Now, this is exactly why I'd prefer an "honest iron"; a well proven carbureted (or early injection) push-rod cast iron V6 with a Volvo 290 or Mercruiser Bravo drive. Or, in my corner of the world; a well proven diesel with mechanical injection, say the Volvo TAMD 41 or the Cummins 4BT. Propellers with decent dia and elephant ear blades if necessary, available in heap quantities; good auto mechanics used to these engines around next corner all ove the world.... Sea-water pump inboard, protected by a mudbox, spare impeller in the tool box, extra water inlet by an external pipe on the transom, open on top to allow cleaning (or fling a hose in the water to get home, if needed). The more I see from the computerized stuff, the more I want to distance myself from the s**t. On top of it; you have inboard heating as much as you need and more.

So, unless you aim at a future as an Evinrude problem solver for the near and dear; build an engine box to house an "iron stove" with decent power and a Bravo drive, preferred the B2, bolt it to the transom where the piff-puff engine hung, and off you go......! Good luck and amen!

DogCavalry, bajansailor and BlueBell like this.
  2. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Amen to that!

3. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Well, that last big post of mine was incredibly poorly written. I'm off my game obviously. Sorry for that. Thanks @baeckmo for replying anyway.

If anyone has experience with V6 Evinrudes and can suggest a troubleshooting sequence I'm all ears. (That's where all the hair went that in happier days was on my head)

Edit: it cools adequately at low rpm, but in the range where it cools by PRV, it overheats in about a minute. I could take the valve assembly out of the PRV, guaranteeing water flow through there. If that changes nothing, recalculate. Pine needles in the telltale nozzle are a bit disconcerting. Is there a particular area in the flow path that is vulnerable to clogging?

Edit #2: reviews of this engine described it as extremely quiet, but mine is quite loud. The exhaust path and the cooling water path join on the way out. If it's exhausting incorrectly that could also affect the flow of cooling water.

4. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

5. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Fantastic! More data points. A blocked telltale causes overcooling. So move on from there. I note major water movement around the leg at the outflow slots above the AV plate. So the pump is moving water. Maybe a poor seal in the tube from pump to mid leg aluminum cast components. Everything is pounting towards taking the leg off. That will wait until I complete the next work cycle up north. I'm leaving in three days, and my infinitly patient Anne has expressed dismay at how long I'll be gone next cycle.

6. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

...and a telltale without restriction nozzle causes overheating! Have you checked that the little bugger is in place?

7. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I have. Evinrude/bombardier got a little too clever there. The performance is outstanding, and maintenance cycle is exceptionally affordable, but you need a B.Eng to really intuitively grasp what's going on.

8. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

IMG_20240108_091337601.jpg
    Hardly exciting stuff, but I'm away so much of the time lately that accomplishing things is like eating sand.

9. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

IMG_20240205_080134630.jpg
    Anyone want a painting? Or maybe 20?

10. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

What is the story behind this photo please?

I see that Serenity has been transformed into an arty cargo ship now.... :)
    Are these paintings all going to be fitted in the houses that you are building?

11. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Anne's mom Dorothy has been a painter all her life. Now she's moved to a retirement home and her life's work is now in our care. That's about half of it. I'm at a loss as to how to manage it.

The important thing is that despite my ineptitude, Serenity performs useful work on a regular basis.

BlueBell and bajansailor like this.
  12. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I've been up North for months, almost full time, because that's where the money comes from. But today I've got Serenity out on the water for the first time in months. She was not happy tied to the dock, slowly turning green and growing a beard. But now we are both okay.

I'm going back up North for another month early tomorrow morning, but at least we had this time together. 17102853665628576910786750702925.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    Stofferaus and bajansailor like this.
  13. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

And now I'm back again. Going to put on the large SS cupped prop @baeckmo recommended two years ago. When there's time there's no money, and when there's money there's no time.

Clean the bottom too.

I'll need some bits. There's a half inch gap between the prop and the prop nut. IMG_20240518_093134143.jpg 36e5c121-9a13-44ba-9209-9936be315ae5.jpg

BlueBell and bajansailor like this.
  14. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I've got the leg off. Turns out there's a couple compounds I need to reassemble. Triple grease, an adhesive, and a gasket maker. But in the meantime I note that there's a little play in the drive shaft. Is that normal?

Last edited: May 21, 2024

15. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

....axial, radial or rotational, and how much? Btw, why the leg off; pump issues?