Sea Sled madness. It’s in my brain.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DogCavalry, Nov 11, 2019.

1. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Soy Soylent Green: I can't believe it's not people

Just the basic at this time. @baeckmo has provided me with a detailed description of how to mod my prop. But really the boat needs two smaller outboards, so each can avoid the aerated water in the middle.
    Well, needed at build stage, and I knew that. But 42000 for a pair of used 150 Virago's, or 18000 for the 250.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023 at 4:20 PM
    Barry and fallguy like this.

2. Darkzillicon

Darkzillicon Junior Member

fair enough… a few things to consider for a 250 hp outboard you could actually get a 5-blade prop. Any prop should be less expensive than purchasing two outboard motors. (It seems you already discovered this yourself above :D)

second note is they actually design many of those four blade props for highly Aerated water. (Presumably with cup? I'm not a propeller guy)

third as you know, many of the Hickman style Sea Sleds were fitted with surface piercing props. Many of those, including the one on the Atlantic Challenger 2 (not a sea sled but comparable) were six blade props. They required aerated water just to get on a plane. So, I think without modifying your current set up at all simply looking at a better prop, would probably solve most of your issues, and let you get her up to full throttle.

Also, when heavily loaded the air is a bit of a lubricant for lack of a better term and it allows the prop to spin up to full throttle under load so also helping when you're on a gas motor with less torque and trying to get on plane. (This isn't hard for a sea sled) but it can work to your advantage since you have the aerated water anyway.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023 at 4:26 PM