Sea Sled madness. It’s in my brain.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DogCavalry, Nov 11, 2019.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Get her ready for rain water. She looks free!

DogCavalry likes this.
  2. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Very close. Right now I'm protecting her epoxy from UV damage. I've ordered a SeaStar hydraulic steering system - 4.25 turns lock to lock, 26' push pull cables, and a steering wheel. $2500. Prices going up. A friend has a 25 gallon permanent tank I can have. Basic electric system to run a bilge pump.

I'll put on the antifouling paint when I'm home, on the community grid.

3. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

IMG_20220524_082446071.jpg Steering has arrived.
    Decided russian roulette isn't my game, so I ordered a 100 gallon tank from a fabrication shop in the yard. Thankfully, the shop boss thought the attachment block was a good idea.

Time to design a helm station. Naturally the wheel needs to be close enough to the window that the driver can stand with his arm on the window sill. Ergonomics decisions, instead of just accepting what was built.

Stofferaus likes this.
  4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I do not believe you can vent a fuel tank out the back of the boat.

Some dejavu here, but the concern is for fuel vapors to pull from suction and end up with a stinky aft deck.

just looking out for you

And not sure if you want to go diurnal or not, but if you are getting the tank fabbed, which I think is great wisdom, btw; diurnal ought to he considered. In theory, it would reduce vapors in my other point above. But you'd also need a home for charcoal canister.

5. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

20220101_195957.jpg
    This area is hardly inside, so fumes aren't a concern. And thankfully the diurnal tank idiocy hasn't infected us yet, so that's not a concern either.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The fumes are from suction created by the cabin.

If you plan to get insurance, the surveyor can tell you if it is permitted to vent there

As for the diurnal business, I wonder how much fuel is lost to the atmosphere from a 5/8" hose on a warm day.

7. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

With no aft wall, and only partly covered side walls, that space can not hold enough fumes to matter. Even in perfectly still air the diffusion rate is high enough that a combustible fuel/air ratio can not be achieved.

With regards to the diurnal tank fiasco: How much fuel and other resources are lost growing corn to make ethanol? How much fuel and resources are consumed mitigating the damage the ethanol causes? How much resources are spent making those tanks, and accommodating them in designs? How much environmental damage? Let alone the ethical aspects of producing wheat and corn for fuel when there's still world hunger. The whole thing is a deeply corrupt, cynical, hypocritical distraction from actual mechanisms of harm. Like the assinine plastic soda ban we have. Plastic straws are not now, and never will be a problem here, but waving papers straws in our faces prevents people from talking about actual things that harm the environment. Anyway, that's enough grumpy old man rant for one day.

8. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Sorry guys, but I don't understand the fuzz about tank ventilation; the vent pipe goes from tank top up above roof level and is finished with a swans neck. Likewise with the vent from the battery box. What's the problem-what am I missing?

9. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Hi @baeckmo . That seems a good practice, but is not required here. All that Transport Canada requires is that "fuel vapors be discharged overboard".

Interestingly Environment Canada absolutely forbids spilled fuel going in the ocean. A fuel spill must be contained in the boat. Transport Canada absolutely forbids a fuel spill going in the boat. It must go in the ocean. I wonder how to solve that?

10. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Simple....don't spill fuel!

BlueBell and DogCavalry like this.
  11. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

That is my official plan. At the price I'm paying now, I'd rather spill blood.

Not necessarily my own you understand. There's lots around, not doing anything important....

12. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

And all I am saying is overboard is probably not out the top of the tank DC. You asked for people to look out for you. Venting into a splashwell does not make sense for a couple of reasons. Not technically overboard and no place for a vent loop which is best practice to avoid getting splash in tank via vent.

Unless I misunderstand the plan..

DogCavalry likes this.
  13. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Here is a diagram that shows how to prevent water getting in the tank. Forget all the epa stuff and p trap; you just run the hose up and back down to the vent outlet..

credits to @Ike

1A7CA2C9-A046-4082-B399-CA52FB51E314.jpeg

14. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Here is the old school pic I thought I grabbed. For you, you'll need one more #8-#10 ground wire for the tank. The fab shop should know this and give you a tab welded on. The ground for the sender is isolated iirc. Credits to @Ike 748768DA-251B-4871-A083-BDA765D957BE.jpeg

15. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Thanks for the sober second thought, @fallguy . Note that there's nothing about this arrangement that prevents running a vent line up and out.

fallguy likes this.