Sea sickness

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, May 4, 2008.

1. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Jer,

Someone else mentioned the transdermal patches. My dad and youngest brother were very "queasy", very susceptible to motion sickness. They would put a patch on several hours before going out on my boat. We had everything from dead calm with swells to drifting in a brisk wind and chop to 35-40 knot winds and steep seas. They were always OK.

I know everyone is different, but the patches should be worth a try. They're sold under several names, all over the counter, I think. I hope you find a cure for your lady.

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I've eaten crocodile at a local grazing house. It tasted like chicken, but very very ve-he-he-he-ry tough. I finally spit it out as I saw that it was going to take all night and I was hungry.

Shame Jim, the poor rattler. Rather let it go. Cows and stuff are made for eatin, not snakes.

When I was young and good looking (I'm not so young any more :rolleyes:) I used to have many snakes, including puff adder and rinkhals's (spitting). Both, especially the puffers are extremely dangerous. I never kept any mamba's, they're pure trouble and way to agressive, especially the black mamba's. They're BIG BIG trouble (Bart Simpson)

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Now since they use horses to cultivate anti-venom for snake bite, I was wondering how well horses would fare with anti sea sickness cures ?

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i wanna ride that horse after a ship ride,,,,them sea legs would be fun hehehe,,and fanie i was gonna keep the rattlers,,but "ole lady" says not with the kids,,so all i got now is some mouse eatin snake i found in the yard,,black emporer scorpion,,and a savannah moniter.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Sorry Manie, off topic here, but you can go and get sea sick a bit later after we're done here, ok ?

One of the places we go fishing on our northern coast have some gaboon adders. The parients were out fishing and the kids found this monstrous one, over a meter long. The kids had to carry it two-two it was that heavy. They played with it all day long and it didn't bite anyone. Now if you google for it, it is one of the most venemous snakes and has the biggest teeth. The teeth also have blades on the inside that cuts a huge gaping wound to help poison spread.

Anyway, the parients nearly died. The snake got a happy retirement for it's good behaviour provided by the parks board okes who fetched it. It fortunately is not an agressive snake, I guess it doesn't have to be ;)

Ok Manie, your sea sickness. You get these ginger cookies that has a really strong ginger taste, it burns your tongue. Ginger is known to settle the wishy washiness of soft bellied sailors amongst others.

I don't get sea sick if the boat moves right, but what gets me is when the boat heaves the wrong way, so I stay clear of these big ships.

One thing that really gets me is when I haven't been on the water for a while. I begin to get a craving for that weaving feeling that Frosty calls land sickness. Sucks when you have to sit on land when there's water somewhere eh ! No it doesn't help when I sit on a lilo in the pool :rolleyes:

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

http://www.savp.co.za/Venomous/slides/Gaboon Adders.html

Beautifull eh !! Cures any sea sickness ;)

http://www.savp.co.za/Venomous/slides/Gaboon adder (Bitis gabonica).html

Gaboon adder (Bitis gabonica) | Cytotoxic Venom
    Bitis gabonica is a venomous viper species found in the rainforests and savannas of Sub-Saharan Africa. Primarily nocturnal, they have a reputation for being slow-moving and placid. This is not only the largest member of the genus Bitis, but also the world's heaviest viperid and it has the longest fangs and the highest venom yield of any venomous snake

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

An just to keep you okes from sleeping tonight -

This long, grey to olive brown snake with a slender coffin-shaped head, is the largest venomous snake in Africa and considered as the second largest venomous snake in the world - 2.5m - 4.5m. One of the deadliest snakes in the world with a potent neurotoxic venom that is rapidly absorbed by the body's tissues. The black mamba is the fastest moving snake in the world, capable of moving up to 20 km/h but uses this speed to evade danger, rather than catch prey.

Black mamba venom contains powerful, rapid-acting neurotoxins and cardiotoxins, including calciseptine, a natural neurotixin. Its bite delivers about 100-120 mg of venom on average, but can deliver up to 400 mg of venom while only 10 to 15 mg is deadly to a human adult. The venom causes paralysis of nerves especially those that control breathing & heart rate. Large quantities of antivenom may be required to save the victim's life.

Many snake experts have cited the black mamba as the world's most aggressive snake, noting its tendency to actively attack without provocation. When in the striking position, the mamba flattens its neck, hisses very loudly and displays its inky black mouth and deadly fangs. It can rear up around one-third of its body from the ground inflicting several bites on chest height.

So, Africa is not for sissies. You have to be on the lookout for philamons, snakes, spiders, hippo's, crocks, lions, elephants (difficult to spot :D) and sea sickness amongst other things.

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya,,mamba's are 1 of the only snakes that'll chase your arse down.,,,and ta hell with africa,,,them baboons and giraffes scare me hehe ;)

9. deepsix

deepsix Senior Member

I feel the worst when the wind has just died and there is still some swell around. I think its because there is nothing to do. you can get sturgeron over the counter, it works for me. I do get a bit of a head ache and a dry mouth, but its much better than sea sickness.

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i was on a small ferry 1 time,,,carried like 20 cars maybe less,,,,but FULL of tourist goin ova to vinalhaven island to be like us mainers,,,,had swells that made ME do the "jitterbug" cross the deck,,,i wish i brought a camera,,,30 people hang'n ova the sides chuckin and tryin to rescue each other from goin ova board,,,,,i laughed so hard i farted :D :p ;) hehe ;)

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Oh never mind you guys, off topic and all that, i will be sleeping in my box on the water within the next couple of weeks in the bitter cold.

I think when you sleep in a box 4m x 1.2m your body gets used to continiuos motion up down backwards forwards sideways, even if the waves? are only 1 foot high and 5foot apart. Keep in mind that you are covering a distance of several miles in 8 hours, up and down 1ft at a time.

Maybe it makes me a candidate for the around in ten he he he:D :D :D

dont you just love the noddy boat that was posted:D :D :D

Attached Files:

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

At the speed of light time stands still. So it would only be logic that the faster you move the slower time passes by. Hence ANY movement is better than no movement, and if you move while sleeping means you'll move up to 1/3rd of your life, it could add quite a bit of time to your life.

I like sleeping on the water. Nothing quite like it, when you sleep I mean.

13. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I am still of opinion that sea sickness is more liable to attack you when you are just sitting around idelish. Someone should stay healthy to steer the boat out... imagine everyone aboard hanging over the sides.

The dog in the race doesn't know it has fleas ;)

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

I WAS FRAMED!,,,,so to show that during every post i was thinking bout the thread topic,,,heres my thoughts,,hehe,,,WHISKY!,,,i guarentee that after a pint,,,she wont be sick from the sea ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.