Sea sick problems, opinions!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by MarioCoccon, Jun 8, 2006.

1. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Pickle juice works. I'm not kidding. My son used to get sick trying to play his gameboy in the car, and my grandfather recommended pickle juice. It worked. So now whenever we take a trip, we pack a jar of pickles.

Not sure why it works - maybe the salt in the pickle brine helps buffer the stomach acid, or has some physical effect on the stomach?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I was once as sick as a dog in the South china sea leaving Hong kong. At 4 in the morning I had to bleed the fuel system 3 times after a fuel shortage. I was vomiting violently, all I was thinking of was throwing the vomit away from the starter motor and other electrics. I must have forgoten that I was supposed to remember to forget about being sea sick. I wonder how sick I would have been if I had remembered to forget about remembering to be sea sick.

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Exactly what I said, I think?

4. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Capt with beautiful firsthand can put temporarly their headache in the bussom of friendly hug..... IT REALLY HELP THE SEASICK:)

5. safewalrus

The Hell it does Welly, but what a chat-up line:D

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sea sickness can be fatal, mind you you have to be really bad. This is always a concern for the captain who should of course be aware of any one feeling the slightest queezy. You wouldnt send a man forward to fight the spinaker if he felt a bit off. In rough weather it is the captains responsbility to keep an eye on any one sitting quitely or going below constantly.
    However I have heard that the last resort to serious sea sickenss is to throw them over the side. No I am not joking --apparantly this works. Of course they are tied and the conditions are suitable. Or you lower them into a dinghy.This is supposed to eliminate to second motion of the boat, so the "patient" is actually in contact with the water. It also stops the puke from destroying the teak deck.!!!! This apparantly will lessens the confusuion between the information coming from the eye and that from the balance information of the ear. Its this confusion that will make you sick. Going below is not the thing to do as the confusion is then at its worst, eyes saying nope nothing is moving but the balance say whooa. It is always recommended to sit and look forward at the waves, then when the wave moves the boat you are expecting it and cuts the confusion.
    Its always best to ask first before throwing some one over the side, If they say "yes I want to die",-- they are OK
    My wife got sea sick sleeping in a water bed, It wasnt long after that that we started to drift apart.

7. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Good post on seasick..... I using motion dectector on my next trip......:) Puke really destroy the paint and protection because of the gastric content...... yike!

You should try Landsick after Seasick......... Landsick is the feeling of still on the sea after you have adpted to seasick and back to land stay......... horrible double effect......:)

WDH

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes your quite right welly,--it stinks and the odour can be so offensive as to encourage others to puke. This knock on effect has to be avoided by a responsable captain. If some one is completely unable to clean them selves then a female member of the crew could be assigned to this task, if not then they should be removed to a down wind position. A large lazerette pehaps or lash them to the swim platform. If the high seas are washing over the swim platform all the better as this will clean off the occupant.
    Alternatevley hauling them to the top of the mast would gain sufficeint hight to eliminate all possible odours affecting the remaining crew. Great causion however should be taken to be absalutely certain that the offending crew member has completely discharged the entire contents of the stomach berfore positioning them in such a place. It should go without saying of course that a person in this state needs care and sympothy in this very distressing situation.

9. safewalrus

Jack I still prefer your total immersion theory, might the attachment of a large amount of scrap iron help! they'd be so busy staying alive that they'd forget about being sick!

But seriously i believe the main thing is to distract the mind by keeping it busy - telling them some of the awful jokes that appear in these forums may help (it may also push them over the side - literally):rolleyes:

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

yes --absalutely the ole survival instinct yes, A loaded gun pointed at the head pehaps might jolt them from thier wimpish behavour, I feel it would certainly encourage them to think that sea sickeness might not be there most immediate problem. Ahh yes it would be a day they would remember for the rest of their lives.--- .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.