Working alone, smaller pieces?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Bigtalljv, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Bigtalljv

Bigtalljv Senior Member

Hi,

so I’m running into some issues working alone with some of the sheets of fiberglass I’m trying to put down, they are just too big to handle alone. Now this might be a problem of my own creation.

How big of a difference does a seam make if I break the sheets up into smaller sections? The transom is 8’ wide, would two 4’ fabric sections be dramatically less of a good idea for the inside skins? It sure would be nice to work with smaller pieces.

thanks
    Jason

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Manage the work. 2" overlap seams minimum

3. Bigtalljv

Bigtalljv Senior Member

Thanks. Sometimes I amaze myself with my stupidity. I just keep walking into that wall, ow….ow….ow.

Much easier to make it three pieces with fairly large overlaps. 18 pieces cut and ready for the weekend.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Laminating is hard work. Do what you can to make it easier.

5. Bigtalljv

Bigtalljv Senior Member

I’m slowly learning…..

6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Smaller pieces of laminate equate to more work in the finishing stages, mainly in terms of filling and sanding.
    Can you find another set of hands to help?

7. Bigtalljv

Bigtalljv Senior Member

That’s an excellent point but in this particular case it’s the inside of the transom so my finish doesn’t need to be anything but workboat, it will be barely visible if you try to see it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.