Structural Joints

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Gone Ballistic, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Gone Ballistic

Gone Ballistic Junior Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm a keen sailor and i'm thinking about taking on a design and build project for a 30ft racer cruiser. Primarily considering foam cored composite construction. I do have a few questions about detailed parts.
    1)What are the different options for the hull/deck joints. I would like to have a rounded deck edge with a v.small toe rail.
    2)Keel is likely to be fin and lead bulb but again don't know what is best for the bulb/fin joint and the fin/hull joint.
    Any experiences would be most appreciated
    Cheers
    Andrew

2. Not A Guest

Not A Guest Junior Member

You want a metal connection between the bulb keel and the hull.

For the hull joint you can mold a gap between the hull and deck and then during assembly fill the gap with curved foam and glass.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.