Scratch-built models?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Keycube, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Keycube

Keycube Junior Member

Hello,

Can anyone point me in the direction of some references for scratch-building a (floating) boat model, for someone that has no clue where to start? I'd like to start testing some design elements that I've been reading about, just to get a better understanding of boat dynamics in general.

Thanks.

Robert

2. yipster

yipster designer

i use to build model boats as young as, well i forgot now...
    just do it, there are so many way's, use wood, balsa forexample. easyer is to get a hardfoam block or plate(s), or liquid you foam yourself. model with knife, rasp and sandpaper.
    just dont tell anyone i helped you since it isnt really the way to go without elaborated formula's, testing equipment etc. etc.

3. yipster

yipster designer

from MikeD's article on Wetted surface area - approximate formulas.
    it may be interesting to know that Froude used wax models in his test tank experiments.

4. midnightkayaker

midnightkayaker Junior Member

Make your model at 1:1 scale. Be sure to use materials that will work in the finished boat. Test your model in all your favorite boating locations. If all your tests are succesful, congratulations you're done. If the darn thing rolls over and sinks or won't get on plane, or can't make headway down wind,...OH Well, Its only a model.:p

5. yipster

yipster designer

allready did so for my latest model midnightkayaker! have you seen the mini america's cup also? boat replicas that fit -barely- 1 person.

as for wax i was reading on the net that someone in scotland ;) used a bigger block of wax as a mold -great thinking!- no teflon film neccesairy and the wax can be remelted for the next form!
    i'm only wondering about the thermal reaction...

6. midnightkayaker

midnightkayaker Junior Member

models

do you have a link to the mini cups, or other model?

7. yipster

yipster designer

re: models

i saw the mini america's cup on tv a few years back, it was a yearly event in -witch?- city with wind machines and the boats looked pritty serious. maybe there is a site, other still to go searches are models, hydrolics, and more. give me some time or help -like you- i'm more than interested! :) yipster

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.