Mediterranean trawler design help - Newbie looking for advice

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Moonlightshadow1, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Moonlightshadow1

Moonlightshadow1 New Member

Hello everyone!!!

I am new to this forum and to the world of boat design, especially regarding Mediterranean trawlers. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge, but here are my questions:
    • What is the ideal hull shape for a Mediterranean trawler? I have read that hull design can affect the stability and efficiency of the boat, but I am not sure what shape would be most suitable for this purpose.
    • What type of engine and propulsion system is recommended for this type of boat? I would like to know the most efficient and environmentally friendly options.
    • What is the typical trawl arrangement on these boats? I am looking for information on how to effectively and safely set and operate them.
    • What essential navigation and safety equipment should I include in my design? I want to make sure the boat is well equipped to deal with any situation at sea.
    • What is the optimum carrying capacity for a medium-sized Mediterranean trawler? I would like to know how much fish it can carry without compromising its performance or safety.
    I know these questions may seem basic, but I am really interested in learning more about Mediterranean trawlers such as this one for example: Barco Pesquero de Arrastre en Fibra de Vidrio de 1994 en Venta https://www.embarcacionesdepesca.com/embarcaciones/arrastre-cod-1281/

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Hi @Moonlightshadow1, welcome to the forum.
    I have designed a large number of fishing boats of all kinds and I am very close to your location. I have worked for several shipyards on the Spanish Mediterranean coast. Send me a pm (en castellano), if that's okay with you, to exchange more information.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you trying to get into the fishing business? Trawlers are usually designed to, first comply with regulations, and second to function the best within the constraints of the regulations.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.