Schools for Marine Engineering

Discussion in 'Education' started by mercuryracing22, May 12, 2004.

1. mercuryracing22

mercuryracing22 New Member

I have been interested in aero-engineering for my entire life. Last year, I decided that Marine Engineering would be a more interesting field. I've become very interested in attending a marine engineering school, but my athsma keeps me from military schools. I need a school that also has a lacrosse program. Please write back.

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Which is more important, the lacrosse or the Marine Eng.?

3. Tim_Hastie

Tim_Hastie Junior Member

Try mamorial in the Halifax

4. mercuryracing22

5. Tim_Hastie

Tim_Hastie Junior Member

Sorry.....Newfoundland Memorial university

6. medisconna

medisconna Naval Architect

Marine Engineering or Naval Architecture?

If you're coming from Aerospace Engineering, it should be a smooth transition to Naval Architecture. Similar concepts in both studies - different fluids. I describe Marine Engineering as most comparable to Mechanical Engineering. Some schools will offer programs that specialize in either endeavor. Have you considered the Maritime Academies?

7. musicman803

musicman803 Junior Member

marine engineering

having been interested in aero, marine or mech I found that florida institute of technology has all of them but instead of marine it is ocean eng. They may have lacrosse too.

8. bigAl

bigAl Guest

UBC , university of british columbia, in vancouver, canada, has a mechanical engineering program which has a option of Naval Architecture in it. Check it out www.mech.ubc.ca

9. chell1867

chell1867 Junior Member

i am very interested in naval architecture can you simply spechalize in that or do you have to do marine engineering also?
    -michelle

10. mercuryracing22

you can specialize in just that if it floats your boat.

11. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Michelle,

Generally, the US universities have two degree programs--Naval architecture and marine engineering. There are other specialites such as ocean engineering, and when I went to the University of Michigan, they also had a combined naval architecture/aeronautical engineering degree program.

Naval architecture is an engineering field, so you will get training in the engineering sciences. At a university, you will concentrate more on ships rather than recreational craft. However, some recreational craft courses are offered.

The University of Southampton in England offers a Yacht Design engineering curriculum.

The Memorial University of Newfoundland has a fantastic towing tank complex that the students are exposed to.

The other naval architecture schools in the US are the University of New Orleans, and Webb Institute (free tuition) in Glen Cove, NY. Stevens Institute in Hoboken, NJ, has some naval architecture, Cal Tech has a graduate program and an ocean engineering program, I believe. You can also get a naval architecture degree at the US Maritime Academy in Ft. Schuyler, NY, the Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD (all expenses paid), and the US Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT.

Eric
    University of Michigan, 1971.

12. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

The USCGA also is all expenses paid.

UC Berkeley has a graduate program as well, and probably undergrad courses so that you graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering, but can take the needful NA courses as options in ME.

It is worth remarking that there is very little difference between the various branches of mechanical engineering (NA is often considered one). You would take hydrostatics, for example, instead of controls. Going to a large university allows you to do further exploration. For example, since UC had a forestry department, I was able to take wood science courses as options in ME.

The marine engineering degree courses are mainly intended people who will man engine rooms. However a lot of these end up in design too.

It is worth noting that engineering skills are highly transferable among disciplines - one highly respected planing boat expert began in electronics engineering. At one firm, the head of our electrical engineering department had a aeronautical engineering degree, a number of my classmates in NA are in now computer hardware and software, and several are in strictly business stuff - tanker cargo brokering, and high tech venture capital.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.