Scarfing Techniques

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TJPERKINS, Dec 4, 2010.

1. TJPERKINS

TJPERKINS New Member

Hello, I'm new to this site. We have to repair my mast, got sitka spruce and will use 10-1 ratio. Is there a better or not techniques to do the scarfing, using 1 1/2" x7" timber.
    Thanks
    TJ

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A10:1 scarf ratio is fine. Make sure you stagger the scarfs in each stave by at least 3 lengths of the scarf on adjacent staves. If you have well fitted joints, plastic resin or resorcinol can be used. If your joints are less then perfect, then epoxy would be the better choice.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I use a plane. To find the high spots, a flat piece of wood with chalk on it. You rub it on the scarf surface. Where the chalk shows are the high spots. Plane them down.

4. TJPERKINS

TJPERKINS New Member

Thanks, the mast is 60' deck step on our 55' sloop, I got to help a shipwright in Grenada on the top 20' after a run in with Ivan 2006. Now we have some rot because of some unsealed screws install by riggers. She's in St. Maarten now, got quote, they wanted only to replace with aluminum and all new standing rigging , that was replaced after Ivan, @ $40,000.00. I flew down to strip off paint to inspect the damage.
    I see no reason not to repair, shipping sitka spruce out and will repair myself in Jan. I take some pic to share.
    I was going to use a shape hand saw to set the angle of the scarf and chistle out, plane and sand smooth. I like the chauk idea. Thanks
    TJ

5. TJPERKINS

TJPERKINS New Member

Par, I plan on using west system expoxy, as we did in Grenada. Very slow cure and band with wire ties until cured. I think this should work well.
    TJ

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.