Scarf or lapped joints at stringers/logs

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by goodwilltoall, Aug 20, 2017.

1. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Greetings,

Been trying to find threads on this and the info is scant. Do remember Tad insist that they be scarfed.

Other than possibly being slightly oversized and weighted what are the downsides if there is sufficient overlap?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't understand what you are asking

3. TonyBR

TonyBR Junior Member

Scarf OR lap joints for stringers...

I´m using scarfed and double laminated stringers 50 X 35mm (Ipe wood) , where the 35mm is made of 2 X 17,5mm thick pieces. Joints get quite far from each other.

4. goodwilltoall

Say plans call for 1" × 3" chine log can u have sufficient strength by lapping at butt joints or something like doubling two 5/8" × 3" and still butt jointed along entire length?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  5. goodwilltoall

Btw, did that on my project doubling 16' × 1" × 2 5/8" epoxied and screwed with 8' overlap. It seems very strong.

If doing it again would scarf as its easy to cut with a jig.

6. TonyBR

TonyBR Junior Member

Guess that this is the usual way, maybe avoiding the secrews as epoxy is enough.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.