New to the forum

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Brian Paul, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Brian Paul

Brian Paul Junior Member

Hello,

I am new to this great forum and a newbie boat restorer!!

I am in the process of getting a 1947 22ft Chris Craft Sportsman Utility. This boat has cedar planing on the sides and some mahogany planks have been fastened as repairs over time. Overall, the vessel is in good restorable condition. My delema is this. Do I restore it to its original white painted sides or replace all the cedar with mahogany for that great look? Any advise would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks

Brian Paul

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

No brainer.
    It's your boat you finish it the way you want!!!

Good luck, Have fun, and Welcome aboard

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If this is an investment, a commodity, then you're best course is to return it to original condition. If this is a pleasure boat, that you will wish to enjoy many seasons with, then repair as you feel is necessary. The key here is do you restore or repair her. Both produce a boat. One may dramatically increase it's resale value, the other it's usability. The choice is yours to make.

4. Brian Paul

Brian Paul Junior Member

Thanks for the advise. This gives me something to ponder. Does anyone have a source for shipping? I have to get this boat from Wisconsin to Dallas.

Thanks,

5. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Check the local equipment rentals, most have a long general
    purpose trailer that you can rent. Do you have a vehicle
    that can handle it?.. There is always Uhaul!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.