scarab 29 ft gas tank removal

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by normscull, Apr 16, 2006.

1. normscull

normscull New Member

How does these tanks come out? I have a 1980 scarab with stringer rot. I thaught I would first remove the tank to inspect dammage. Easer said then done. Are these tanks foamed in? are there any bolts holding it down, I have been picking foam for days and it still wont Budge any Help out there?

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Nothing is standard. It might be bolted and foamed in a boat like that. Try one of those foot long sawzall blades or even a chainsaw if you have the room. Pry with crowbars, pull with comealongs. 26 years is pretty old if it's an aluminum tank. Sam

3. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Tank removal

If you don't need to remove the tank to do the repair, I'd leave it alone. Better yet borrow a pressure testing kit and test it as installed. Blow the tank up to 3psi (no higher) and check for leaks after a time with soapy water at the welds and fittings. Don't use amonia based products. There is a formula about how long to test based on capacity.

You may not be able to remove the tank with damaging it. I watched a guy dig a foamed in tank out of a boat one time. He ended up cutting big holes in the top of the tank to insert a steel I-beam. He used the I-beam to lift (rip) the tank out with hoists. Wasn't pretty.

djs

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

For God's sake make sure you empty, wash and thoroughly vent the tank before you do anything. I test tanks to make sure they're 'gas-free' for a living and I can assure you that you wouldn't be the first to blow your boat (and worse, yourself) to bits....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.